Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Have you ever added up the cost of your tank and realized.... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49924)

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-26-2009 12:50 AM

I love my tank. I love my fish. And I do like my corals. Its just that when I look at what things like a skimmer (acylic tube with a pump) cost me (over $1000) I feel like an idiot.

Its not that I think this is the most expensive hobby in the world or anything but like most hobbies, its soooooooo grossly overpriced...and I don't even buy the ridiculously priced corals or anything.

I don't know...things are actually going well with the tank but I still look at it and think of how much it cost and it kind of bugs me right now.

Would I give the tank up?

Nope.

Mrfish55 02-26-2009 01:03 AM

If the $1000 price tag on a piece of acrylic with a pump bothers you, contact your local plastics supplier and ask how much a length of 8" cell cast acylic costs. trust me, once you price out the material cost that goes into these things the price of a ready built unit looks pretty good.

digital-audiophile 02-26-2009 01:04 AM

I don't even think about it, I enjoy it so its's worth every penny.

Besides, my other hobby is collecting Militaria, and I have been known to spend over $5000 on a single tunic. (Once I get my basement renos finished and have my war room set up proper I am happy to show anyone that comes over :))

christyf5 02-26-2009 01:07 AM

Theres no hard and fast rule that says you need to spend that much on a skimmer. Ultimately you wanted it and thats just the way it is. I can certainly say I wouldn't feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a skimmer. I always buy used and frankly, I'd rather fritter it away on crap (and believe you me, I can do that like nobodys business, this year has been a record setter) :razz:

Lance 02-26-2009 01:08 AM

With me it's not so much the money. I knew it was an expensive hobby, but most hobbies are costly. If it isn't S/W tanks I'd be spending it on something else. I know what I can afford and what I can't. I just sometimes get frustrated when things go bad. When all the time and effort you put in and something goes awry, that's when I think it may not be worth it.
But then I'll notice some new growth on a favourite coral or find some new critter or something and all is fine again.

lobsterboy 02-26-2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrfish55 (Post 393066)
you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can.

very true

banditpowdercoat 02-26-2009 02:31 AM

I just can't save money...

Muscle cars in summer

Performance Snowmobiles in winter

SW fish all year round.

In fact, winters ending, I blew the engine in my Sled, and fro some STRANGE reason I HAVE to ride some more, so I'm spending $1000 that I DON"T have to rebuild it. And, I'm TRYING to save up for a 200+g established tank purchase....

This workin 2 Full time jobs just aint cuttin it no more.... hear that Honey, no more Timmies for you....

Diana 02-26-2009 02:34 AM

I used to think about the cost of our tanks and cringe, but now that we run our business, i think about it and go "Cha ching! Business expense!" :mrgreen:

marie 02-26-2009 02:53 AM

First off I try to not add anything up if I can help it and secondly being a hermit that never goes anywhere or spends money on anything else, this hobby has been perfect for me.

So even if I did add everything up it would still be worth it to me :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic 02-26-2009 03:17 AM

I don't like scaring myself so I refuse to add up all the costs. Plus I do so many transactions that it would be near impossible to add it all up anyways.

I work at home & am obsessive compulsive, so like what Marie says, this hobby is perfect for me.

Like Christy, I prefer buying used equipment, so I can't ever see myself justifying a $1000 skimmer purchase unless I hit a big lottery win. If I have to work for the money, then I'm just as happy sticking with my $300 used ER-RS250.

Anthony