Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Vertex Skimmers (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46187)

kwirky 11-02-2008 01:08 AM

no bubbleking or hydor but I'd say it's better than a euroreef, considering it's made in the same plant and has the same pump (the resun is a rebrand of the gen-x).

I've had extensive experience with one and it's well worth the money I believe. Sure it's made in china but $320 for a 250 gallon skimmer? It's on a 286g fish only tank skimming pretty damned good.

Good value.

Keri 11-02-2008 06:07 AM

Hmm!

How easy is it to take off the skimmer cup for cleaning?

Veng68 11-02-2008 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwirky (Post 356600)
no bubbleking or hydor but I'd say it's better than a euroreef, considering it's made in the same plant and has the same pump (the resun is a rebrand of the gen-x).

I've had extensive experience with one and it's well worth the money I believe. Sure it's made in china but $320 for a 250 gallon skimmer? It's on a 286g fish only tank skimming pretty damned good.

Good value.

The only thing that is of concern is that the pump for the 250 gallon model uses 140 watts as compared to the Euroreef RS250 which is drawing 60 watts.

Anyone have a Vertex 250 and a watt meter?

Cheers,
Vic

Aquatic Addictions 11-02-2008 02:28 PM

In our store we are using the Vertex Models on some of our systems. I chose one of each size and so far so good. As for having a meter no I am sorry I do not have one to check the draw.

I can however say that they are a great skimmer .....basically in the simplest words they are quality engineering and performance at a tiny bit more than coralife prices!!!

We carry the full line and am happy to report that we like them very much as they make an excellent skimmer affordable for most begginers and experienced reefers alike.

OceanicCorals-Ian- 11-02-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veng68 (Post 356649)
The only thing that is of concern is that the pump for the 250 gallon model uses 140 watts as compared to the Euroreef RS250 which is drawing 60 watts.

Anyone have a Vertex 250 and a watt meter?

Cheers,
Vic

Just looking it up, the Vertex IN250 is $320. The EuroReef RS250 is $490. They are the same height and diameter.

Hell, for the $170 difference, you could slap on whatever pump you want and still take advantage of all the additional features of the Vertex...

I'm seriously going to have to take a long gander at these things for my own setup.

Aquatic Addictions 11-02-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanicCorals (Post 356668)
Just looking it up, the Vertex IN250 is $320. The EuroReef RS250 is $490. They are the same height and diameter.

Hell, for the $170 difference, you could slap on whatever pump you want and still take advantage of all the additional features of the Vertex...

I'm seriously going to have to take a long gander at these things for my own setup.

Well the height and diameter being the same is correct however throwing "whatever" pump on these would be a choice as they have been developed with their own impellor to work best with the bubble plates and efficiency.

Throwing another pump on these may or may not produce the same results as initially determined by the manufacturer.

Slick Fork 11-02-2008 04:47 PM

Could anyone point to any specifications on these? I can't find any info on pump GPH, airflow LPH, etc.

fkshiu 11-02-2008 06:13 PM

The proof will be in the pudding. I have both a Dwyer airmeter and a Kill-a-Watt device so if anybody in the Vancouver area has one of these skimmers I'd be happy to do some testing.

This applies to any skimmer, BTW :)

Veng68 11-03-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkshiu (Post 356696)
The proof will be in the pudding. I have both a Dwyer airmeter and a Kill-a-Watt device so if anybody in the Vancouver area has one of these skimmers I'd be happy to do some testing.

Hey.... if you wanna make a road trip out of it that would be cool. Maybe we can go to some of the shops in the Valley :)

Cheers,
Vic

Keri 11-03-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkshiu (Post 356696)

We live too far to participate but I'm really interested in those results!