Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lower Mainland (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   max size aquarium in a condo? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46155)

jasond 10-29-2008 02:18 PM

I keep a 60g in my condo, and I am on the second floor. I think the rules vary depending on your building/condo board, but this was the biggest I felt comfortable with. When I decide to go bigger it will be in a house with a basement with nowhere to leak but a drain in the floor (just in case) :biggrin:

steve fedyk 10-29-2008 02:53 PM

I had a 120g in my condo. I was on the second floor but was still on a concert floor, and no one below me. When I checked with strata they wanted to know were I wanted to place the tank. The tank foot print could not be more then 200 psi. So I made my stand 7' long to house all my equipment with a plywood bottom and lined the inside will a liner.

reptile guy 10-29-2008 03:09 PM

Should be able to put a good 300 gallons without issue. The thing that always baffles me is why would the tank crumble a floor made out of 2x10's standing on end (each 2x10 is capable of supporting a very large amount of weight) when it's not crumbling the store bought stand made out of cheap practically unreinforced plywood? If an allglass stand can support a 210 gallon (I'm sure we've all seen all glass stands lol) then why wouldn't your floor be able too. Most buildings are over engineered and should be able to easily support the weight of a car and or having 20 people standing together for a photo. If your stand isn't crumbling then neither should your floor so go big! lol

Drock169 10-29-2008 03:40 PM

my strata says a reasonable number of fish or other small aquatic animals, so I chose a few large fish in a 125.

Telford 10-29-2008 04:36 PM

I have a 80g cylinder right in the middle of the floor. My building is all concrete however. Just make sure that you are covered by insurance.

Leah 10-29-2008 05:21 PM

Go

Go for it, who would ever know....Drip, Drip, Drip, opps: huge flood. My vote would be for
denial. Must have come from the floor above. Oh ya, better get a big rotti on the way back from LFS, (replacment of tank. lol) Tee Hee!
Leah
________
VAPORIZER

bleevin 10-29-2008 08:25 PM

Alright... thanks for the replies... I'll try for a 75g or 90g then.

sphelps 10-30-2008 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleevin (Post 355779)
Alright... thanks for the replies... I'll try for a 75g or 90g then.

Probably for the best. For people not in the hobby an aquarium 50 gallons + is considered large.

dkcrx 11-19-2008 05:45 AM

I lived at cascade green in Abbotsford, had a 250G, a 125, a 90 a 45 and 2 30gal. all on the ground floor above the underground parking.

dabandit 11-19-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reptile guy (Post 355684)
Should be able to put a good 300 gallons without issue. The thing that always baffles me is why would the tank crumble a floor made out of 2x10's standing on end (each 2x10 is capable of supporting a very large amount of weight) when it's not crumbling the store bought stand made out of cheap practically unreinforced plywood? If an allglass stand can support a 210 gallon (I'm sure we've all seen all glass stands lol) then why wouldn't your floor be able too. Most buildings are over engineered and should be able to easily support the weight of a car and or having 20 people standing together for a photo. If your stand isn't crumbling then neither should your floor so go big! lol

Simple a 2x10 is 10'' on end a stand is about 36'' on end lol also a stand spans far less distance than a floor joist....get it?