Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   dangerous bottles (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42250)

Der_Iron_Chef 05-24-2008 07:46 AM

Apparently it only applies if you drink hot liquid from these containers. Cold or warm liquids are apparently harmless.

SATELLITE 05-24-2008 08:01 AM

i heard that if you freeze the water in the bottle and will let out what ever chemicals that are in the plastic which can cause cancer. but really it doesn't matter now a days everything causes cancer...

Johnny Reefer 05-24-2008 01:18 PM

I used to drink out of a water bottle that gave me a mouth condition that is hard to describe. Not open sores or anything, but just a lousy mungy discomfort. Primarily of the gums. I thought I just wasn't washing it thoroughly enough. When this public warning came out I checked the bottle. Number 7. Aha! Needless to say, I don't have that bottle anymore. If in doubt, throw it out.

Cheers,

i have crabs 05-24-2008 03:39 PM

canada is banning use in baby bottles for now, research i think in england or somewhere else could only extract about 10 mg of bpa under extreme conditions and found a babys safe daily intake of bpa is 250mg
so i guess if you baby drinks 250 liters of boiling liquid id be worried
im quite shure canada is just making a big deal right now so they cant be blamed for doing nothing later if testing doses show its harmfull, its been around a long time aand its in almost everything so im not gonna worry

Brighteyes_13 05-24-2008 11:37 PM

plastics have not been around that terribly long... maybe 60 years ish... and look at the amazing swell of cancers that are being diagnosed all over our country. we think we live longer now due to all our advancements, but what about all the diseases we have now that were never mentioned before that. we can thank medicine for extending our lives, whether healthy or dying.

wouldnt you rather be safe than sorry? so many ppl say that "everything nowadays causes cancer, so why bother" but if you do nothing then you dont at all decrease your chances.
and for those who say "you only live once" wouldnt you rather be able to enjoy that time, rather then spending it suffering from a painful cancer?

besides the cancer issues is the recyclability of plastics. glass can be recycled into new glass, but what happens to plastic?

by no means am i saying worry over what you cannot change, but why not make the simple chages that can make your life potentially more healthy (and enjoyable)

i have crabs 05-25-2008 12:32 AM

better quit eating caned foods too then

midgetwaiter 05-26-2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i have crabs (Post 325771)
canada is banning use in baby bottles for now, research i think in england or somewhere else could only extract about 10 mg of bpa under extreme conditions and found a babys safe daily intake of bpa is 250mg
so i guess if you baby drinks 250 liters of boiling liquid id be worried
im quite shure canada is just making a big deal right now so they cant be blamed for doing nothing later if testing doses show its harmfull, its been around a long time aand its in almost everything so im not gonna worry

First off your units have to be WAY off, 250mg is more than half a pound. IMO it calls in to question everything else you have to say there.

As a matter of fact the US just did a study similar to the one that Canada conducted and some interesting quotes from the report are:

"There is some concern for neural and behavioural effects in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures"

"the possibility that bisphenol A may impact human development cannot be dismissed,"

The US report stopped short of recommending that the use of BPA be banned but I think you can hardly say that there is nothing to be concerned about. It makes more sense to avoid something that you think might be causing problems than to continue using it because you aren't absolutely 100% sure it does. Especially considering that there are many effective alternatives available.

WhoPoopWrasse 05-26-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetwaiter (Post 326101)
First off your units have to be WAY off, 250mg is more than half a pound. IMO it calls in to question everything else you have to say there.

No, his units are not off at all, I think you have yours mixed up though! :lol:

250 mg is equal to 1/4 gram and not 1/2 pound! 250 g is more than 1/2 pound...

midgetwaiter 05-26-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoPoopWrasse (Post 326112)
No, his units are not off at all, I think you have yours mixed up though! :lol:

250 mg is equal to 1/4 gram and not 1/2 pound! 250 g is more than 1/2 pound...

Oh good lord, I was thinking grams when I wrote that, don't I look silly.

I still think even mg sounds pretty exaggerated though.