Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What Salt do you use? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31737)

Snappy 03-30-2007 02:26 AM

I normally use Reef Crystals but bought a bunch of Reef Pure Pro at a boxing day sale. I generally mix the two as I don't notice much difference between them.

BMW Rider 03-30-2007 03:17 AM

Used to use Kent until the low alk issue. That made me leary of their QC, so I switched to Reef Crystals. I found that the MG, Alk and CA levels are sub standard in it, so I'm looking for a new brand again. If the Tropic Marine Pro has decent levels of those elements (not to mention who knows what else is lacking in some brands) then the extra cost will be saved in all the additives needed to bring the other cheaper brands up to standard.

Anyone have another good reccomendation and place to purchase in Calgary. I'm pretty much out, and will need to pick up a bucket asap.

geobee 03-30-2007 05:54 AM

i am using oceanpure pro,,,and i too am having high alk

Jason McK 03-30-2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geobee (Post 243480)

High Alk? I'm having very low Alk 4Kh is what I get from a fresh batch mixed to 1.026sg

J

christyf5 03-30-2007 02:11 PM

I waffled between Kent and IO mostly due to availability on the island. I missed out on all those problems they were having <whew!>I usually bought IO because I hated those Kent lids (fingernail busters :razz:) but since they've switched their buckets to something easier to open I'm back to Kent (for now) :biggrin:

fishface 03-30-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geobee (Post 243480)

i just started using this stuff and get a Ca of 370 and alk of 6.2dKH. i emailed them telling them i was pretty disappointed that i have to supplement before i use it and they told me they'd send me a new bag.

Jason McK 03-30-2007 03:57 PM

Really, I would be very interested in your results from the replacment bag.

J

Swags 03-30-2007 04:23 PM

tropic

I too use Tropic Marine Pro. Great salt and well worth the extra cost. I have tried all types of salts over the last 15 years, and this is the best I have ever found (in Canada). When I started in '92, I remember having to pay $50 for a bag of IO that made 50 gallons! Salt prices are cheap considering it is the most important element we add to our reefs. For me $90 for 200 gallons is cheap cheap cheap. All my corals love it too!

Phil

danny zubot 03-30-2007 04:39 PM

Ocean Pure Pro for me, highest Mg out of any salt I've tried.

Jason McK 03-30-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny zubot (Post 243560)
Ocean Pure Pro for me, highest Mg out of any salt I've tried.

What is your ALK?

J