Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Pictures (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Suggestions for POTM topics (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29995)

Jason McK 01-24-2007 07:09 PM

How about just a 'bump' to the thread requesting pic. this last one I totally missed :)

J

Chaotic Cricket 01-24-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niloc16 (Post 232105)
although limited edition sps are not common i still love to see peoples pictures of them. if the competition becomes too common of a subject then the entries will be enormous, just my 2 cents

Then more people would feel less marginalized :)

marie 01-24-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 232108)
How about just a 'bump' to the thread requesting pic. this last one I totally missed :)

J

I second that, I missed it too :redface: . Then again i was too busy wondering where my pic for Dec potm went :razz:

christyf5 01-24-2007 10:02 PM

It was a sticky at the top of the pictures forum. Do you guys need occasional bumps to get it into the "new posts" list of threads?

Just checking cause we can do that if need be. :biggrin:

Ruth 01-24-2007 10:16 PM

I don't know how easy this would be but.............is it possible to track the pictures that are posted in various threads on the board in a given month? A lot of people will not "enter" their picture in a contest for various reasons but probably mostly because they don't think it is very good.
I just thought that if there was a way to track the photos that do get posted and then have them all "collected" somehow for voting on by membership it might be a way to see more people's photos get recognition????
Heck I don't know.:redface:

christyf5 01-24-2007 10:37 PM

Too much work IMO. I barely have enough time to make random useless posts :razz: and collect pics for the TOTM that happens every TWO months.

Good idea though. :biggrin: I think for now it will be via submission only. We're working on a better notification method though. Oh you'll be alerted alright :razz:

danny zubot 01-24-2007 10:48 PM

It is a lot of work, I agree. But if the Mods in charge see a random pic that qualifies they could add it to the selections. Or just Pm the person to make them add it.

Next month, I will submit a pic no matter what the theme is. Perhaps a lot of people were just to busy over the holiday's to participate.

Diana 01-25-2007 12:07 AM

I personally felt too intimidated to enter the "most colorful sps" one because I feel there are so many beautiful sps colonies out there that put my measly monitpora to shame. So I thought I might be "laughed at" to even attempt to enter such a blah coral into a "most colorful coral" contest.

I know its just me being weird, but I was put off a little by the category mainly cus I dont have a sps tank. So yeah I do think a lot of people were 'left out' of this month's contest, and not that its a bad thing- not everyone will always be able to enter, but there are many who do not have sps.

Also, I just wanted to clarify for myself, what is being judged really in a photo? Is it the subject or the quality of the photo? Cus I know many photo contests that are of the most ordinary of things but its the photo quality itself that counts. In this contest it seems its more about content.... and not so much the sharpness or contrast of a photo.

Just wondering.
;)
-Diana

Der_Iron_Chef 01-25-2007 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niloc16 (Post 232105)
although limited edition sps are not common i still love to see peoples pictures of them. if the competition becomes too common of a subject then the entries will be enormous, just my 2 cents

Well, perhaps a massive amount of entries will just jack up the competiton :smile: If the POTM contest never includes "too common..a subject", people who are new to the hobby will rarely get a chance to participate.

Just my opinions, though. Carry on...

Edit: Perhaps it would also be helpful if you guys could post a list of previous POTM contests, so we can try something new.

Manny 01-25-2007 03:04 AM

I missed it as well, it might be because I only look at the newest post thingy on the home page. I never really look at the actual forums.