Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The dearth of spirited discussion (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116167)

somafish 10-05-2015 08:46 PM

Dearth lol. That is all

albert_dao 10-05-2015 08:46 PM

I would argue that the nature of the internet has changed, and with it, so has the means of dialogue. Let's not forget that it's really only been widely accessible since the late 90's.
It's a bit like the video game industry - look at the type of games that are achieving success now vs. how they were back in the early 2000's.

TLDR - stuff changes.

Scythanith 10-05-2015 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanerickson (Post 966211)
Really? this discussion is so dead

And this is why I may stop coming here as well now. Nothing is dead, every topic can be debated and discussed.

Aquattro 10-05-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 966217)
And this is why I may stop coming here as well now.

Me too. Everyone knows MH is the best. Or at least everyone should. Pfft.

albert_dao 10-05-2015 10:07 PM

I would also mention that fiery opinions or debates, for whatever merit they may carry, tend to end up with a round of asinine circle-jerking before they die out. You only need to experience that so many times before you become numb to it.

Aquattro 10-05-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 966223)
I would also mention that fiery opinions or debates, for whatever merit they may carry, tend to end up with a round of asinine circle-jerking before they die out. You only need to experience that so many times before you become numb to it.

Ya, there's that :)

IanWR 10-05-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 966223)

I agree, and I don't long for petty squabbles. I think I am surprised by how quickly standard practices have been settled. I must have started getting into the hobby at some sort of transition time (started looking into it about 5 years ago).

lastlight 10-05-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 966220)
Me too. Everyone knows MH is the best. Or at least everyone should. Pfft.

then why can't i sell mine? you want them? :biggrin:

Aquattro 10-05-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 966228)
then why can't i sell mine? you want them? :biggrin:

Wrong size, sorry :) I run 400w. Saw a post today where someone is looking for some. Browse around.

Delphinus 10-05-2015 10:47 PM

I used to frequently obsess over this hobby but lately I feel almost a bit pushed away from it, and one huge driver is the sheer cost of things compared to a decade ago. Whereas in the early days, there were lots of expensive things, there were also a lot of DIY attitudes and experimentation that made things fun. I don't seem to see a lot of that cowboy'ing anymore?

Now everytime I see a new product, first of all, there's pressure to "preorder" it before it's even hit the market; and odds are good that whatever it is, I can't afford it anyhow. Part of it is my own station in life, have kids now, other expenses other priorities etc. but my own subjective feel is that it just costs more now.