Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   po4 and zeo (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105876)

Aquattro 03-24-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 888139)
That makes me question zeo at all then

I started zeo day 1 and have never had PO4, so not sure if it's better at keeping it low, or lowering it if it's present.

waynemah 03-24-2014 04:29 AM

I'll predict it's the test kit! :wink:

Rice Reef 03-24-2014 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynemah (Post 888176)
I'll predict it's the test kit! :wink:

+1. I would borrow a buddy's phosphate test kit first before making a lot of changes. However, if PO4 is that high try to control reduce it and see if you are a le to find the source of the PO4 ( rocks leaching etc...). I am assuming you are running a full zeo routine and in the early stages you are dosing allot of food a k into the tank. I think running GFO will be ok. Good luck and hope you will be able to solve the problem.

Wheelman76 03-24-2014 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon (Post 888128)
We run full zeo on our 600g SPS system and cannot keep PO4 in check without GFO.

We only have 12 fish but we do also have 400 troches snails and 200 peppermint shrimps in there.

Damn thats a lot of snails and pep shrimps , I'm guessing you don't have any aptasia in your tank? Lol

waynemah 03-24-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon (Post 888128)
We run full zeo on our 600g SPS system and cannot keep PO4 in check without GFO.

We only have 12 fish but we do also have 400 troches snails and 200 peppermint shrimps in there.

Sells peppermint shrimp, buys a used car...

Proteus 03-24-2014 12:03 PM

Going to buy a new test kit today. Stopped buy Waynes and tested his water against his test kit lol. Red sea may be out to lunch as according to his test his water was. 0.05 and my test kit showed it At 0.64

Rice Reef 03-24-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 888195)
Going to buy a new test kit today. Stopped buy Waynes and tested his water against his test kit lol. Red sea may be out to lunch as according to his test his water was. 0.05 and my test kit showed it At 0.64

If anything, this is good news! A local reefer tried Red Sea and his numbers were all over the place. He is now using Salifert and would never go back to Red Sea again. Problems could have been created due to bad readings. Keep us posted on your recoverly! :biggrin:

MarkoD 03-24-2014 05:14 PM

I use the Red Sea kit for mg. and it seems accurate.

Maybe it's just the po4 one that's bad

freezetyle 03-24-2014 08:05 PM

like everything else in this hobby, Zeo is not a magical fix. it is something that takes time to make changes. and progress towards your goals. stick to the program and try not to make too many changes at once so you can make an appropriate observation on how your system is progressing.

how often/what are you feeding? how much and how often are you changing your water? fish list?

Proteus 03-24-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freezetyle (Post 888257)
like everything else in this hobby, Zeo is not a magical fix. it is something that takes time to make changes. and progress towards your goals. stick to the program and try not to make too many changes at once so you can make an appropriate observation on how your system is progressing.

how often/what are you feeding? how much and how often are you changing your water? fish list?

I feed once a day mysis or like frozen. Change 5 gal water weekly
Fish list is
Black cap x2
McNeilli assessor
Yellow assessor
Royal gramma
Midas blenny

The gard part is watching coral suffer