Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   75 gallon crashing (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101338)

Magickiwi 10-09-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 850570)
Just a heads up.

You cannot use ichX if you have been using prime water conditioner.

It results in a rapid and drastic drop in the available oxygen (IIRC) resulting in a crash.

Do lots of water changes.
\
Both are good products, but cannot be used together.

I hadn't heard that. Do you have a link??

Good luck with the tank, a crash is something we all fear.

mulch123 10-09-2013 07:56 PM

Thanks every one but sadly all but 2 fish have died. So I removed the 2 and put them into quarantine tank 50% water change and purchased a uv sterilizer in hopes that the ich will be removed by the time the 2 fish are back to full health. Lesson learned quarantine all fish and dont trust the LFS.

mrhasan 10-09-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulch123 (Post 850608)
Thanks every one but sadly all but 2 fish have died. So I removed the 2 and put them into quarantine tank 50% water change and purchased a uv sterilizer in hopes that the ich will be removed by the time the 2 fish are back to full health. Lesson learned quarantine all fish and dont trust the LFS.

Just leave the tank without any fish for 2 months and the ich will be gone automatically. Sorry to hear about your loss; the exact same thing has happened to me. I used ich-x and kordon but haven't worked for me too :(

Madreefer 10-09-2013 08:00 PM

Aww man that sucks. Sorry to hear.

michika 10-09-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott tang (Post 850480)
im 14 and the year ago when it ahpend the store told me i didnt need qt also i had 8 inch fish and no mony for a qt

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't want to say that your store is taking advantage of you, but it kind of sounds that way.

As in all things in life, do your own research and come to your own conclusions. Especially when the other party has a vested stake (financial) in your continued business.

Sorry to hear about your losses. Research 'fallow tanks and ich' for timelines on ich's lifecycle for how you can ensure it's been removed from you system completely. Going forwards QT and Hyposalinity would also be my recommendations along with ensuring you're feeding a good robust diet as immuno-response/immune system in your fish play a role in illness/disease. UV can help with some problems, but it's not infallible.

Nate 10-09-2013 08:04 PM

No link.

Got the info from talking to hikari rep at a show we put on

daniella3d 10-09-2013 11:37 PM

Ok you're 14, with no money for a QT but enough money to fill 1000$ in fish and coral? and lose them 3 times from nasty diseases?? YOu think your LFS Is responsible for this 3 times? You did not learn anything the first time?

Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me! Fool me 3 times? not sure what's going on there...

I am sorry if that sound harsh but you seem to have enough money to buy tons of fish. Why not buy less fish and a smaller aquarium and save some money to take care of them properly, keep them healthy and happy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott tang (Post 850480)
im 14 and the year ago when it ahpend the store told me i didnt need qt also i had 8 inch fish and no mony for a qt

ponokareefer 10-09-2013 11:57 PM

Canister filters are typically a bad idea on a reef tank unless you clean them bi-weekly. I would personally do without it. Your rock will act as a filter for your tank and the skimmer will do the rest.

canadianbudz604 10-10-2013 02:39 AM

Canister

The canister filter had nothing to do with ur ick problems. Ppl use canister filters for 20 years on their reef and had no problems. Just keep it clean.