Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   do you quarantine your new additions? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112018)

Pike 02-06-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital (Post 934061)
I did this for years, then one day I did what i always did, in 3 days complete tank wipe out and 6 week fallow.

Never ever again.

I guess you dice with the dark side one day you will get burnt. I did, and I know when I mentioned this on RC the thread was full of same stories. I just dont take risks like that now

What exactly happened, what caused the wipe out ?

Rice Reef 02-06-2015 11:38 PM

I've been hearing about more fish dieing from QT than not Qt...
:confused:

Bblinks 02-07-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanerickson (Post 934066)
You dip your fish in coral rx?
I have never quarenteened anything thought about it with my achilles but too much work removing fish outta three tanks. there all tied together plus would need 3 tanks to quarenteen then all in. I know I'm playing with fire but never had a issue other then short term ich breakouts that have always for the most part gone away with no deaths.

LMAO

I don't quarantine either. drop in and play.

trilinearmipmap 02-07-2015 12:32 AM

I ought to quarantine but am too tired / lazy. Probably gambling and should know better.

corpusse 02-07-2015 12:41 AM

Can someone explain to me how a fish can die from qt? Cleaner or equal water to your display, less current, more hiding spots, lower light and less competition for food. Plus the fact they can live their whole lives without a worry of so much as a single white spot.

I've lost my fair share of fish in qt but very few in my display tank. I am however still guilty of not quarantining everything. While I do dip all corals I occasionally put them directly in display and often within a week or 2. I guess the biggest problem outside of being impatient is I'd only be able to shop for stuff once every 72 days or get like 5 qt tanks. Currently I use a 55 gallon for fish and a 20 gallon if I buy anything while I'm already have fish in qt. I use my frag tank to qt snails crabs and other things but coral do not often make it the entire time. Perhaps eventually I will get a second frag tank as I worry about my Achilles every time I add a coral but never when I add a fish.

Sharkbait-huhaha 02-07-2015 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanerickson (Post 934066)
You dip your fish in coral rx?
I have never quarenteened anything thought about it with my achilles but too much work removing fish outta three tanks. there all tied together plus would need 3 tanks to quarenteen then all in. I know I'm playing with fire but never had a issue other then short term ich breakouts that have always for the most part gone away with no deaths.

Lol I should've been more specific. I dip my corals in Rx. Fish I just toss in after 10-15 minutes bag in tank

Slyguy00 02-07-2015 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveCGY (Post 934041)
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

+2

Myka 02-07-2015 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rice Reef (Post 934074)
I've been hearing about more fish dieing from QT than not Qt...
:confused:

That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.

RMC 02-07-2015 02:17 AM

I'm relatively new at this hobby and didn't quarintine at first. The 3rd fish I got, Flame Angel, came with some ich (no charge for the Ich). It died and took another one with it to the big tank in the sky. I ended up setting up a QT and left my display fallow for 6 weeks. Lesson learn the hard way. Now I quarintine EVERYTHING!

Aquattro 02-07-2015 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 934121)
That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.

Exactly. I've lost some fish in QT, but I know exactly why, and it wasn't QT fault, but mine. I now keep a fresh foam block cycled in my main sump, QT anything new, don't medicate until I know everything else is settled, fish is eating, etc. Then I still may not medicate if there are no signs of anything for a month.