Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   skimmer not skimming (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85366)

rusty shackleford 04-15-2012 12:55 AM

yeah my thoughts exactly, when i first got it it was foaming like crazy.
had about 2 shot glasses full of dark dark brown crap after 2 days.
keep in mind i hadnt had a skimmer on the tank for a whole year and the water was always really dirty.

it just seems theres no suface tension to allow foam to build up, i know my waters dirty ( my algae makes that very clear! )

thanks for the input, ill give it a few days

tim the toolman 04-15-2012 03:02 AM

My skimmer will not allow the foam to climb properly if the chamber is not cleaned. You should fully clean the uptake chamber to allow for the foam to properly climb.

chris121277 04-15-2012 03:06 AM

Have you changed the depth below the surface of the water that pump is at? super skimmers are finicky about water depth

reefwars 04-15-2012 03:12 AM

how much water do you have it running in the sump???

reefwars 04-15-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris121277 (Post 705496)
Have you changed the depth below the surface of the water that pump is at? super skimmers are finicky about water depth

ooo just beat me too it lol buy yah:P

reefwars 04-15-2012 03:13 AM

would also make sure everything is clean motor wise and all tubing is free and clean:)

reefwars 04-15-2012 03:15 AM

and now since your running internal you will have to tune it again:)

subman 04-15-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim the toolman (Post 705494)
My skimmer will not allow the foam to climb properly if the chamber is not cleaned. You should fully clean the uptake chamber to allow for the foam to properly climb.

Very true but it looks like in the pics the head isn't reaching the dirty neck. Still need to clean the neck to get proper skimming

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 705502)
and now since your running internal you will have to tune it again:)

It looks as though its still external on the side of the sump now instead of DT.

rusty shackleford 04-15-2012 06:50 AM

yeah i should have mentioned, its to tall to fit under my stand in the sump.
so its hanging just outside the stand as a hob on my sump.

the water level in the sump is about an inch lower then when it was on the display (when it was functioning properly) but i compensated for that and have it dialed in, it looks to be running the same way it was when it was working on the display, just minus the foam

deffinatly give it a cleaning, cant hurt

chris121277 04-15-2012 07:12 AM

I don't think you realize just how finicky super skimmers are....an inch is a huge deal to them.....heck a 1/4 inch is a big deal to them.....I'd put money on it that if you cut the tube connecting the pump and inch shorter raisin it up tham "POOF" it starts skimming normal again :wink: