Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What brought you into Reefing? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42125)

rocketlily 05-16-2008 08:29 PM

Last year I worked with a guy who talked about his SWtank (all I had was my FW pond fish). So, I figured it he could do it, I could too. Took the plunge after last Christmas and already going bigger.

lastlight 05-16-2008 08:35 PM

I had cichlids for years and was really annoyed when my best friend would mention at the pet stores that the saltwater fish were mch more colourful and exciting. I made a point of not wanting saltwater.

Then I snorkeled in the Caribbean and decided I *had* to have a Sergeant Major. After some reading I discovered that might not be a good idea but I became incredibly hooked.

I'm between tanks but I'm working on a 225.

WhoPoopWrasse 05-16-2008 10:04 PM

It's something I had been thinking about for many years and finally 2 years ago I decide it was time. I had a 75g reef, moved onto a 90g with 35g sump and I recently added a 24g JBJ nanocube! :mrgreen:
I may have to go live in a cardboard box soon but I'm bringing my tanks with me!! :lol::lol::lol:

Midknight 05-16-2008 10:36 PM

My mom saw "Finding Nemo" and wanted one.
So as a joke I bought her "Saltwater for Dummies" for christmas a couple of years ago.
After reading it and seeing we had most of the stuff with the fresh water we said why not give it a try
I am now setting up my 95 & setting up her 75, Nuff said. :lol:

WhoPoopWrasse 05-16-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midknight (Post 324518)
I bought her "Saltwater for Dummies"

Hey, I have that book!, my son bought it for me too! Is that a trend or something or do all sons think thier moms are dummies.....:silly:

Brighteyes_13 05-16-2008 10:48 PM

after my infatuation with the ocean, and scuba diving in the cayman islands seemed only natural to have a bit of the ocean for myself.

Todd 05-16-2008 11:50 PM

I had three fw tanks and three reptile tanks in my house when I was in Edmonton. That took my to Big als alot where there was a good selection of salt tanks. I decided that I would set up a salt water tank and no fresh when I moved.

I did, I got a 33 used with lots of aiptiasia. That tank got upgraded to a 75, then to custom 135 that I built myself. I have been in the salt side of things for almost 2 years now, and the 33 is a freshwater in the bedroom.

untamed 05-17-2008 12:02 AM

Pretty simple....

- kid with access to lake in summertime
- kid discovers snorkelling
- teen gets dive certification
- young adult dives in tropics for first time
- adult dives LOTS in tropics
- adult decides to have ocean in living room.

marie 05-17-2008 12:54 AM

It was all my husbands fault (he bought me my first 20g sw tank 16yrs ago), something I got to remind him of very recently when I ordered the bubbleking skimmer :mrgreen:

Zoaelite 05-17-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untamed (Post 324533)
Pretty simple....

- kid with access to lake in summertime
- kid discovers snorkelling
- teen gets dive certification
- young adult dives in tropics for first time
- adult dives LOTS in tropics
- adult decides to have ocean in living room.

Wow... That actually really scares me as I'm 18, just got certified, had lake access and snorkeled all the time and on July the 27th I'm heading to Cozumel for my first tropic dive.

Daddy?
Levi