Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   help with removal of huge Eunice Worm (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118019)

hfp75 02-04-2016 02:43 AM

I've read to use a womens nylon and food... to bait it. Apparently they get aught up in the nylon.... you need to anchor the nylon & put food inside it..... I'd watch for it to get caught up in the nylon and remove it asap.... might be a long night waiting & watching.

Some people are successful with it...

gregzz4 02-04-2016 03:03 AM

Not so sure Eunicid worms will become trapped in nylons such as bristle worms will.
From what I can find online anyway ...

Besides, they appear to be able to leave their anchored tail behind to regrow ... ?

Myka 02-04-2016 04:19 AM

Eunicids are bald and won't get caught in nylons,but that's a good trick for bristle worms! Eunicids are more like millipedes...lots of legs but no "hairs". They are also very fast - I remember reading an article that said they are one of the fastest animals in the world IIRC. It said some crazy thing like 300 ft per second they can withdraw themselves. Don't quote me on that... :lol:

Dearth 02-04-2016 11:19 PM

Enucid worms are notoriously difficult to catch as most of the standard tricks generally won't work well as was stated by Myka they are smooth no bristles so the nylon trick will not work they are also extremely fast so catching them by grabbing with tongs, grab hooks and so on are generally not successful.

As these worms target live foods as their primary source using meat and chunks of invert food won't work as a general rule however putting a live feeder fish or live large shrimp in food traps have met with some success.

Most commonly people either trap the worm in a rock and remove said rock or end up ripping up their tank to trap the worm which appears to be the most common practise.

****it is important to note that Enucid worms have mandibles so do not handle with your hands when caught they have been known to inflict a very nasty and painful bite

Aquattro 02-04-2016 11:43 PM

Yup, slippery and fast. I tried for months to catch mine, finally found the rock with a build up of dead snail shells around an opening. Rock gone.

christyf5 02-05-2016 07:26 PM

I had a large one in my tank a number of years ago, at least a foot and a half long. Ate all my zoas, bastard. I managed to find its lair and took the rock out that it lived in. I did end up dismantling half my tank and was lucky that it eventually slid out of the rock it was in (or I might have broken the rock in half, I can't remember). The worm also broke in half too. It was absolutely disgusting. I was mostly across the room while a fellow reefer removed and disposed of it for me :razz:

gobytron 02-05-2016 08:32 PM

If you can remove your zoas from your tank, you could bait your trap with zoas.

Seems like a common go to for them.

christyf5 02-05-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobytron (Post 981587)
If you can remove your zoas from your tank, you could bait your trap with zoas.

Seems like a common go to for them.

make sure you use pretty ones though, if you use brown ones, they'll just sit there forever...taunting you :razz:

the fug brown ones were the last to go in my tank....*sigh*

SeaHorse_Fanatic 02-05-2016 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 981588)
make sure you use pretty ones though, if you use brown ones, they'll just sit there forever...taunting you :razz:

the fug brown ones were the last to go in my tank....*sigh*

Murphy's law. Remember the member who had a Moorish Idol for months and then it started eating his expensive zoa collection, going from the most expensive to the browns. This Eunice worm obviously went to the same school of eating corals and pi$$ing off tank owners.:twised::wink:

pbauec 02-09-2016 05:46 PM

Can I have him when you catch him ? My son wants something terrifying and this is as terrifying as I can think of :)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk