Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why Turn Off Pumps During Feeding? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85161)

sphelps 04-09-2012 06:22 PM

For the most part people would agree we design our tanks and water flow to keep things suspended and be as efficient as possible at forcing debris and other crap to the overflow so it can filtered out before settling and breaking down in the display.

So with that said it's clear why one might want to consider turning off or at least reducing the flow during feeding times. If you don't you'll likely waste a good portion of food that will get filtered out and depending on what goes on from there the extra food may not be filtered out properly and break down into nutrients.

In addition some peoples livestock might benefit from not having to chase down food at light speed but this depends on what livestock you keep.

If you feel neither of these are issues with your tank then yeah it wouldn't make much sense to shut off pumps.

burgerchow 04-09-2012 06:40 PM

I'm a little curious. Just how much food does everybody feed, that they are worried about "leftover" ? I only feed small amounts a day. It's a feeding frenzy everytime I drop in some pellets. Never have any leftovers.
I think keeping my fish in competition for food is more natural, and it also leads to better water quality.

reefgirl189 04-09-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgerchow (Post 703222)
I'm a little curious. Just how much food does everybody feed, that they are worried about "leftover" ? I only feed small amounts a day. It's a feeding frenzy everytime I drop in some pellets. Never have any leftovers.
I think keeping my fish in competition for food is more natural, and it also leads to better water quality.

I overfeed. I know I do. To me my copperband looks like he's starving at all times although he eats at every meal. He's very healthy and at a good weight but I'm a mother hen and tend to overnurture all my babies. I'm pretty sure that I won't be satisfied until he looks like he's pregnant. I have leftovers that dissapear into the rock work and I probably should freak out about it but I figure the CUC needs the extra food. I don't turn my pumps off. With the water volume I have the odd 2 or 3 missed mysis shrimps or pellets don't give me an ammonia spike. Everything is growing and happy and with the exception of one mysterious tang death in the last month I haven't had any issues that have come up in my tank.

Having said all of that I have a fairly low bioload as I don't have much for livestock, so overfeeding 6 small fish in a 250 gallon system is not as big of a deal as overfeeding 15 similar sized fish in a 90 gallon set up.

Mike-fish 04-09-2012 08:46 PM

i feed via the return pumps so the food gets blasted every which way. pumps left on at all times

Doug 04-09-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 703203)
Whats a feeding ring

Its a floating ring for putting flake type food in. Mine also attached to the side with a suction cup. The food slowly sinks to the water a little at a time, letting it get eaten as it falls.

My clowns, thats all I have, and I,m sure other fish would, figured out where the food was and were always poking their face up into the ring.

As another mentioned, I have always, {for close to 40yrs}, fed my fish a lot. Its worked well for me. Same as a few other things I do for the fish, which does not follow what many others do, but thats for another thread.

reefwars 04-09-2012 09:31 PM

I'm overfeeding on purpose, the equivelant of about 3 cubes of frozen, a cup of liquid/powder foods plus pellets....daily

MarkoD 04-09-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 703289)
I'm overfeeding on purpose, the equivelant of about 3 cubes of frozen, a cup of liquid/powder foods plus pellets....daily

wow, why?

reefwars 04-09-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 703291)
wow, why?

Trying an experiment lol its not for fish I target feed all my corals daily, some are nps corals.I'm also feeding an ATS and half a dozen types of macro. My nitrates are still dropping from off the chart 6mths ago to my target range of 10-20 which is where I'm at now.without feeding this much my nitrates are dropping , I'm not shooting for a ulns

StirCrazy 04-10-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkoD (Post 703177)
I've been seeing people do this and cant understand why.

anyone know the logical reason behind this?

because everyone knows all the currents stop in the ocean when it is time for the fish to eat :wink:

seriously though I never did, and I over fed like mad.. no problems ever because I had a skimmer that was big enough to quickly remove everything and very high flow to keep it from settling out.

I guess if you have corals you need to hand feed it might make it is bit easier, but I used to feed my brain with out any problems.

Steve

MarkoD 04-10-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 703340)
because everyone knows all the currents stop in the ocean when it is time for the fish to eat :wink:

seriously though I never did, and I over fed like mad.. no problems ever because I had a skimmer that was big enough to quickly remove everything and very high flow to keep it from settling out.

I guess if you have corals you need to hand feed it might make it is bit easier, but I used to feed my brain with out any problems.

Steve

this leads me to my next question..... why do people target feed corals?