Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Macna 2015 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111725)

Myka 01-25-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnut (Post 932079)
they have draws everyday. One in the early afternoon and another around4.

Don't forget the big draw on Sunday. It's like 3 hours of drawing raffle tickets. I bought a few tickets the first year and then kicked myself in the butt for sitting there all Sunday waiting for my tickets to never get called. I don't bother with the raffle anymore - there are a lot of people there that blow a thousand bucks on raffle tickets so it's tough to win anything.

I'd rather run around on Sunday and get super sweet deals while the vendors are packing up - in Florida my most memorable purchase was 25 polyps Rastas for $20.

Aqua-Digital 01-31-2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 932080)
I'd rather run around on Sunday and get super sweet deals while the vendors are packing up - in Florida my most memorable purchase was 25 polyps Rastas for $20.

This is good advice, we typically sell off all our demo stock thats been on the stand at cost price as its better than lugging it back!

Myka 01-31-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 932080)
Don't forget the big draw on Sunday. It's like 3 hours of drawing raffle tickets. I bought a few tickets the first year and then kicked myself in the butt for sitting there all Sunday waiting for my tickets to never get called. I don't bother with the raffle anymore - there are a lot of people there that blow a thousand bucks on raffle tickets so it's tough to win anything.

By "Sunday", I meant "Monday". :lol:

hunggi74 02-01-2015 01:04 AM

And then said deals would go into one's checked luggage? Hmmmmm....I need to bring more $$$ it seems

Myka 02-01-2015 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunggi74 (Post 933080)
And then said deals would go into one's checked luggage? Hmmmmm....I need to bring more $$$ it seems

Yeah, bring an extra bag. :D

(can't bring CITES protected corals/fish though)

Myka 07-05-2015 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunggi74 (Post 932013)
we've never been to DC so that should make for a good family trip with wife and two young boys.

I'd suggest you go by yourself. It's not really a family trip if you actually want to spend time on the floor. The wife and kids will get bored HOURS before you do. There is SO much for a reefer to see.

I'm kinda considering going this year...hmm...

Craigdillman 07-05-2015 05:01 AM

So are u able to bring fish and coral frags back? or how does that work? where can u look for what u can and can't bring back from the States

Myka 07-05-2015 05:16 AM

You can bring soft corals as they require no paperwork. Hard corals are CITES protected so that's a no-no though some customs officials say it's ok at a hobbyist level. Same with fish - they need a Fish and Wildlife permit, but some customs officials say you can. I've just played it safe and only brought Zoas and Palys which have not presented any trouble for me.

hunggi74 07-05-2015 06:48 AM

Yes, Macna is fast approaching. I tried to tell the wife how bored she would be, considering she's not even interested in the tank at home, but she insists on coming with the kids... At least we are staying at the same hotel as the convention so she's got the option to go back to the room and relax or take the boys out as it's close by to everything. She says she understands that I'll be occupied for the duration of Macna and won't pry me away...she says lol!

hunggi74 07-05-2015 06:55 AM

As far as bringing back corals, I'm filling the tank up fast enough with Canadian vendors. March, Greg...you guys are killing me!
I WILL,one day, try to order from a U.S. vendor and bring it across. Play the ignorant card if I get questioned...and show them Bblinks picture swearing up and down he told me it was ok...