Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why all the AI's for sale? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95127)

xenon 02-26-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 796863)
That is exactly what I'm using and the growth difference is minimal I do have my sol closer to the frags to compensate for the intensity difference. I haven't had any issues moving any corals from frag section to DT.

I'm using my profilux to control it which is great because the AI controller is junk.

The new AI controller is MUCH better.

subman 02-26-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon (Post 796865)
The new AI controller is MUCH better.

I hated the wireless one almost more than the original.... But that's another story.

xenon 02-26-2013 04:26 AM

Have you guys seen this yet? OMG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ljOBxe48v0E

Madmak 02-26-2013 04:31 AM

^^^That's quite a grow op!

subman 02-26-2013 04:32 AM

At about 1:15 the snail even has an sps Colony growing on its back lol

The Grizz 02-26-2013 04:48 AM

All I can say is WOW!! All that coral in one place & we can hardly get anything up here.

Jakegr 02-26-2013 05:16 AM

I still think the Sol is one of the best built LED fixtures out there. I think people are selling them to upgrade to newer, thinner, "full spectrum" fixtures. Used Sols are a decent deal at $250-300 used, but I wouldn't spend more than that given that you can get some pretty awesome brand new fixtures for $400 now.

I personally do not think "full spectrum" lights will have any noticeable growth benefit. There is a well established science behind using red lights to grow plants/algae more efficiently, but more efficiently does not mean faster. It just means it uses less power. I think the use of multi-color LEDs serves more to improve appearance of corals.

The Guy 02-26-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakegr (Post 796888)
I still think the Sol is one of the best built LED fixtures out there. I think people are selling them to upgrade to newer, thinner, "full spectrum" fixtures. Used Sols are a decent deal at $250-300 used, but I wouldn't spend more than that given that you can get some pretty awesome brand new fixtures for $400 now.

I personally do not think "full spectrum" lights will have any noticeable growth benefit. There is a well established science behind using red lights to grow plants/algae more efficiently, but more efficiently does not mean faster. It just means it uses less power. I think the use of multi-color LEDs serves more to improve appearance of corals.

Totally agree with you, I have 2 sols on my 90g and they work great for me so far. I have had no issues with original controller. :biggrin:

camaro7019 02-26-2013 06:57 AM

was only selling mine cause i downgraded to a biocube, keeping 1 ai sol for the biocube tho :) love the ai sols! would never buy a different light

Pan 02-26-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 796830)
Seems like everyone is selling theirs, something new for around the same price I missed that's come out?

Was thinking about a set rather than replacing my MH bulbs when they're due but seeing so many FS lately has me wondering if I should stay away.

LED is new technology, you will always need to "upgrade" to have the latest in LED TECH that is until the technology matures ......but given the nature of it...that may never happen.

I'm not an LED fan I don't adopt a technology until it has proven itself....I don't think LED is there yet., but hey many swear buy them. But LED is like the smartphone craze, new features will always make some people want to upgrade.
Some will actually need it, others won't....

MH as T5 are matured technology for reefs...sure the fixtures can sort of change....but the technology itself is matured...trusted...and proven.