Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Lost my tang and a clown? no idea why (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61019)

Daniel475 02-09-2010 05:36 PM

hey

yes i told him that but i was planning on upgrading pretty soon, well thanks for all the advice.. anything i can do to help this clown out.. salinity is at 29 .. which is like 1.023 i use a hydrometer i think i should get a refractometer.. and so should i turn the light on? and what was this shedding that was coming off the fish

Jason McK 02-09-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naesco (Post 490515)
1. Your tank likely did not finish cycling because your ammonia and nitrite readings should be zero at all times. As tjere was no scratching or gasping for air, this was the likely cause of the death of all you fish.
2. Once you have measured to ensure you have zero readings you should wait one month before you add fish and than only add one fish each month. Success in this hobby relies on patience.
3. Did you tell your LFS you only have a 30 gallon tank?
Tangs require a 6' tank that provides them with the swimming room they need. Please wait until you have a suitable tank to accommodate a tang.

I agree O2 sounds like the cause

I don't understand "i was told to leave my light off to let the shrimp clean whatever was on them off" Is your light under water?

Daniel475 02-09-2010 05:41 PM

hey

no my light is built into my canopy.. i was told the cleaner shrimp likes to clean when its dark

Jason McK 02-09-2010 05:45 PM

I'm not sure how the shrimp would leave the water to clean them. I'm confused

Dyspnea 02-09-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason McK (Post 490527)
I'm not sure how the shrimp would leave the water to clean them. I'm confused

lol, i think he means, turn off the light, so the shrimp will come out of hiding.

Daniel475 02-09-2010 05:52 PM

hey

i got a cleaner shrimp which is in the fish tank , to clean the tang and clowns.. there all in the tank?? nothing is out of the tank?? not sure why you thought that?

Daniel475 02-09-2010 05:53 PM

hey

so it will only clean when its dark?

naesco 02-09-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel475 (Post 490517)
yes i told him that but i was planning on upgrading pretty soon, well thanks for all the advice.. anything i can do to help this clown out.. salinity is at 29 .. which is like 1.023 i use a hydrometer i think i should get a refractometer.. and so should i turn the light on? and what was this shedding that was coming off the fish

There are three things you can do.
1. Immediately return it to the lfs.
2. See if another reefer will put it in his tank for you
3. Set up a small qt and put the fish in it until such time as your tank cycles.

A cleaner shrimp cleans night and day.

RobynR 02-09-2010 06:59 PM

Hey Dan,

Sorry to hear about your fish :(. I just googled 'clown fish shedding' and came up with the below note from another forum.

"usually slime-coat shedding is a water quality issue. many times it is high ammonia or nitrite that stresses the fish's skin and the fish alliviates the pain by producing more protective slime."

Can you take a picture of the clown? It might help people identify what is specifically wrong with the fish. As suggested by others, you may want to set up a hospital tank and monitor the clown, that way if the sickness does become identifiable; ick, bacterial, etc.. you can treat.

Robyn

Daniel475 02-09-2010 07:11 PM

hey

ya i will get some pictures after work i think paul is coming over at 4 30 after work.. i tested for nitrate and it came back as 20.. says in the instructions if its at 50 its bad??? so ph read 8.0 nitrite was .1 really light and nitrate was 20