Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   HELP TO ID FISH PLEASE! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85987)

fishoholic 05-02-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpo (Post 712398)
I never did. I have a fairly new tank (6.5 months) so i don't want to risk hurting someones blenny. I was advised by my LFS that the tang I got would be ok for a year in my tank. True??.... unknown! lol!

Definitely not, in a year they can grow 6 inches or more. I would post him up for sale ASAP

Buy a lawnmower bleeny to help with your algae issues.

noirsphynx 05-02-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoholic (Post 712416)
Definitely not, in a year they can grow 6 inches or more. I would post him up for sale ASAP

Buy a lawnmower bleeny to help with your algae issues.

+1, even at a small size I'm sure a unicorn tang would need more swimming room than a 28g.
It sure is a cute little thing, I love the personality of unicorn's.

fish_gal 05-02-2012 05:19 PM

I might be in the same position. My tank is only a 65 galon and I also have a tang. What will happen if I don't move it to a larger tank?:confused:

George 05-02-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_gal (Post 712595)
I might be in the same position. My tank is only a 65 galon and I also have a tang. What will happen if I don't move it to a larger tank?:confused:

What kind of tang do you have and how big is it?
Tangs in a small tank may cause some serious issues. Every fish needs certain space as their territory. Tangs need a bigger territory than most other reef fish. If you keep them in a small tank, they may get aggressive toward their tank mates.
Tangs also like to swim. Not back and forth but in a straight line, fast. If you don't provide enough swimming room, you may not have a healthy tang down the road.
Tangs like to eat constantly. They have a shorter digest system therefore they produce a lot of waste which puts a lot of burden on a small tank.
All of the above will further stress your tangs. A stress fish will have lower immune system. I wonder if this has something to do with the perception of tangs are ich magnet because many people keep tangs in small tanks. I also notice a lot of tangs have HLLE in aquariums. Not sure any of the above has anything to do with it.
And finnaly it is probably just me. But I have a problem with how a big fish looks in a small tank, not tangs but any fish in general. It just looks cramp for a big fish in a small tank. In my 180 gal, I try to keep only fish that grow to 12" or less.

fish_gal 05-02-2012 09:51 PM

I have a sail fin tang. My tank is 3' long and the fish itself I've only had for about 4 months, so it still is not to big yet.

George 05-02-2012 09:57 PM

sailfin can grow to quite big. if you are determined to keep a tang, a kole or tomini might be more suitable for your tank.

Flash 05-02-2012 10:41 PM

tangs are really not good for any tank under 4' long.... it causes stress, which causes ick.. which can potentally wipe out your entire live stock. there are snails and inverts that can help with algae blooms. Tangs need a large swimming space which is why almost any book or caresheet will tell you 180gl with some exceptions to yellow/purple/kole and scopas tangs which can do okay in a 65-75 gl tank!

Enigma 05-02-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpo (Post 712398)
I never did. I have a fairly new tank (6.5 months) so i don't want to risk hurting someones blenny. I was advised by my LFS that the tang I got would be ok for a year in my tank. True??.... unknown! lol!

Being that you're in my neck of the woods . . . can you PM me what store this was?

Thx :)

Harpo 05-03-2012 01:50 AM

Yeah he/she is full of attitude and spunk! It is cute!

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirsphynx (Post 712427)
+1, even at a small size I'm sure a unicorn tang would need more swimming room than a 28g.
It sure is a cute little thing, I love the personality of unicorn's.

Harpo 05-03-2012 01:55 AM

pm has been sent!

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma (Post 712725)
Being that you're in my neck of the woods . . . can you PM me what store this was?

Thx :)