Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Pump Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Coralife Wavemakers (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81185)

Reef Pilot 01-27-2012 03:34 PM

Also, the Coralife pumps are twice the flow of the Koralia controllable pumps. The Hydor Wavemaker controller alone costs as much as I paid for the entire Coralife Wavemaker (5800 model) system. It even includes a light sensor for a night mode. Definitely a lot more flow and way less money.

whatcaneyedo 01-27-2012 04:23 PM

I've already tossed every coralife product that I've owned in the trash. Which was two pairs of gloves, two PC fixtures and one timer power bar. If saving money is your top priority my suggestion is keep a keen eye on the used section.

Reef Pilot 01-27-2012 05:02 PM

You might be right. I guess time will tell.

However, have also followed all the reports about the wet side and noise problems with the Vortechs, and would have expected better given the cost of these.

And Coralife does give a life time warranty with this wavemaker, so will just have to see.

The biggest weak spot with the Coralife pumps were the suction pumps. But by using the Koralia ones, I have bypassed that. I have also just found a source to buy the Koralia magnet sets for just 13 bucks each, so that is a pretty small extra cost to use magnets instead of the suction cups.

mike31154 01-28-2012 05:04 AM

Sweet deal right here, in your neck of the woods too.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=82508

Reef Pilot 01-28-2012 02:45 PM

I looked pretty hard at the Vortech pumps before choosing the Coralife Wavemaker. Besides the price, I didn't really like how the dry side sits outside the glass and you have visible wires. My tank is completely built in and all the wires and stuff are inside hidden from view.

The tank is actually situated in our kitchen with a corridor on each side, one to a hallway, and the other into the dining room. I can see how a shoulder or arm going by could inadvertently whack a Vortech, especially when you have kids running around.

Lampshade 02-01-2012 04:09 PM

I just bought the coralife DC 5800 pack from a US site. Worked out to be $278 shipped to my door. I love local shops, and spend lots of money there... but seriously, the best price I found here was $370, that's 30% higher :(. This puts these 2 pumps at half the cost of one MP40. Hope they work out well :D.

Reef Pilot 02-01-2012 04:50 PM

The only thing I don't like with mine is the suction cups. I replaced them with the Hydor Koralia Evolution magnet sets (can be bought online for about 13 bucks). They fit perfectly, and don't have to worry now about them falling off in the tank.

Otherwise very happy with mine. The feed and night time features are great. The lower flow at night gives my fish and corals a nice rest.

I use the Turbulence mode with one pump set at 10 seconds and the other at 20 seconds. It really stirs up the flow action in the tank.

Lampshade 02-14-2012 07:11 PM

Got mine today, so far so good. Definitely crappy suction cups, I swapped my existing koralia powerheads onto them, then used the koralia magnets for the new coralife powerheads. The koralia's have already fallen off twice because i did a terrible job scrapping algae before i tried to suction them.

One thing I must say, is they are VERY quiet, I have mine ramping pretty aggressive right now while I play around with them and I can't hear if they're on or off. They also move lots of water, I have mine blasting against each other in the front of my tank, and every part of my tank has movement from them.

So far I'm impressed, and lifetime warranty, so much shouldn't change unless I have to use the warranty too often :P

Reef Pilot 02-14-2012 07:26 PM

Yeah, been running mine for about a month now in my 100g DT. Like you say, lots of flow, almost too much for this size tank. I am using the Turbulence Mode, and it really moves stuff around in my tank. I had to find a new spots for some of my LPS, as it was too much for them. Thank goodness for that Feed button, so my fish don't have to fight the currents and chase the food during feeding. Also, I use the light sensor with it, so gives everything a rest at night with the lower power setting.

I had two Koralia Evolution powerheads and I used their suction magnets right from the start. I then ordered these (which I just picked up in Blaine) and will be using them for the old Koralia's.
http://aquaticpumpparts.com/product....6&categoryId=4

Anyone getting these Coralife Wavemakers should replace the suction cups with magnets right away.

Lampshade 02-14-2012 07:40 PM

My only other issue would be the cord length, on my 6' tank i can only mount the control box in the center, or move both powerheads to one side of the tank. I'm looking at getting some extensions that should fix that.