Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Try this on your carbon (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72906)

Delphinus 02-17-2011 04:31 PM

I agree on the ROX 0.8 as well. The only thing I can really say about it is that the smaller pellet sizes means you have to be a little more careful loading and unloading your reactors if you don't want a huge mess, also it seems capable of working its way through sponges so inevitably some will work its way into your sump but as far as a quality of carbon there's no alternative.

That article NorthernSeaCorals linked to just a good job of explaining the issue with organics and outlines why carbon is important even with good skimming.

lastlight 02-17-2011 04:37 PM

Yeah the ROX can weave through multiple layers of foam it's crazy. I've got the stuff figured out now tho and barely waste any when rinsing and see none in my sump. First couple times that stuff was even in my display!

StirCrazy 02-17-2011 04:52 PM

I have always used marineland (from walmart) way cheeper and is still listed as good. mind you I run it 24/7 and change it out every two weeks.

Steve

Delphinus 02-17-2011 04:55 PM

I was all proud of myself the last carbon changeout last weekend, didn't spill any out of the reactor of the old OR new but then bumped the container and I hadn't tightened the lid all the way so lost about 1" of carbon out of the container all onto the floor. I rock!

andestang 02-17-2011 05:09 PM

Thats what this carbon was, Marineland. I've used it for awhile now, but can probably explain some issues I've been having.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 591888)
I have always used marineland (from walmart) way cheeper and is still listed as good. mind you I run it 24/7 and change it out every two weeks.

Steve

globaldesigns 02-17-2011 05:15 PM

I use Kent Carbon, good price on JL and have never had a problem with it. And it is listed as good on the article. YIPPEEEE!!:cheer2:

Nate 02-17-2011 08:05 PM

Bad carbOn

I beliieve snappys problem was discovered to be his bad brs d/I cartridges.

BlueTang<3 02-17-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 591887)
Yeah the ROX can weave through multiple layers of foam it's crazy. I've got the stuff figured out now tho and barely waste any when rinsing and see none in my sump. First couple times that stuff was even in my display!

@ Brett and Tony. I dont know what kind of reactor you are using, but i run the rox carbon and all my tanks. I run it in two little fishy reactors and run two foams up top with a media baggie cut below the carbons so the media cant work its way out never lost any carbon. To rinse it i take the outlet line from the carbon run into a pail for a minute and no hassle of trying to do it in the sink and then fill the reactor. Hope this helps.

StirCrazy 02-17-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andestang (Post 591895)
Thats what this carbon was, Marineland. I've used it for awhile now, but can probably explain some issues I've been having.

Like what? I used it for 9 years with out any issues, and no rust either as I used it in both my fresh and salt tanks. both were switched out every two weeks.

Steve

daniella3d 02-17-2011 09:47 PM

I use the Seachem charbon. It has the shape of little round balls and it is very pure. Last 3 months. It does not do the same thing as your carbon.