Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bad IO Reef Crystals..... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110018)

hfp75 10-28-2014 07:00 PM

I tested by ALK yesterday after the change at 10-11 then last night I tested and it was 8 after some acid... I did some more acid after that so I am guessing its a 6'ish.... ph is otw up and I have added some alk back in also.

Im not gonna dose to crazy as I want to just change out the water and get rid of the problem down the drain....

but I want to 'zero' the tank over a day or two....

this is frustrating, I have better things to do today.

Anyone have such an issue with the apex before?

reefwars 10-28-2014 07:05 PM

Yeah I'd go easy on the Alk additions , especially the kalk as its adding calcium as well and likely your calcium wasn't affected much by the acid , slowly over the course of a week raise it with soda ash or bicarbonate

I had my doser go wonky and overdosed my Alk so these kind of things happen its a learning curve :)

hfp75 10-28-2014 08:28 PM

so far nothing I can see has died.... things look a bit unhappy, but to be expected.

The Ph probe has been working just fine since the move, so I didnt see any reason to recalibrate it. The Ph / Temp probes are in the overflow.

monza 10-28-2014 10:13 PM

How old is the probe? They do need replacing generally every couple of years or so, maybe sooner if they start acting up.

Muratic Acid to your reef tank, IMO that sounds like a shocking crazy thing to add to a reef tank??

ronau 10-28-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfp75 (Post 918716)
so far nothing I can see has died.... things look a bit unhappy, but to be expected.

The Ph probe has been working just fine since the move, so I didnt see any reason to recalibrate it. The Ph / Temp probes are in the overflow.

If you have the solutions out, you might as well calibrate it. It takes 5 minutes and then you'll know.

hfp75 10-28-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronau (Post 918736)
If you have the solutions out, you might as well calibrate it. It takes 5 minutes and then you'll know.

Its already recalibrated.... First 10+% water change done... second one is mixing....

thats like a 15% change today of the original water.... if I do the same tomorrow.... another 2x 10% then thats 33% of the original water gone in 2 days.... I'll keep this up for a week or so until I'm at a 70/30 split....

hfp75 10-29-2014 05:24 AM

I got busy and did more water changes with larger containers... might be neurotic but I have changed a total of 52g over 2 changes... so on the fractional water change math, its 46g of new!!! out of 107g. I'm satisfied - for tonight.

Tonight while making dinner I ended up cutting my thumb :onfire: and a few minutes later was standing looking into a box where my frag'ing stuff was and saw my Gorilla Glue. Yep, the cut is sealed!!

great stuff...

DSlater 11-01-2014 06:06 AM

Gorilla glue is great stuff but do you actually use it for fragging? Thought it was about as toxic as it gets...

hfp75 11-01-2014 03:12 PM

I use it on frags nothing bad so far..."

hfp75 11-02-2014 03:39 PM

My ph probe has bit the dust... Weird it won't stay calibrated... Need another.

This whole thing was a probe problem....