Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Shaw or Telus internet (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21286)

Bob I 12-28-2005 03:32 AM

It is probably just a matter choice. I have used Shaw light for years and have never had a problem. This post is coming from Moscow Idaho BTW using Super 8 Motel's network.:biggrin:

christyf5 12-28-2005 05:31 AM

After the 3rd rate hike in less than a year with Shaw, I switched to Telus and never looked back.

smokinreefer 12-28-2005 05:31 AM

heh, well SHAW phone service isnt VOIP, it's just like having a landline.

Chad 12-28-2005 06:17 AM

Just a quick comment on the VOIP and 911. I believe in the next few months all VoIP providers must provide complete 911 coverage. I could be wrong on the timeing but it is certainly very soon.

StirCrazy 12-28-2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5
After the 3rd rate hike in less than a year with Shaw, I switched to Telus and never looked back.

um what rate hikes?

Steve.

I have had Shaw internet sense it came out in Victoria and never had problems with it being slow or anything, the people in my neighborhood that have telus have nothing but problems with slowness. Apparently this is because how far away we are from the telus hub. anyways telus just screwed me over on my phone plan (reduced my unlimited long distance to 800 minuets with out my permission. so they basically said I don't care what your contract says we are not honoring it) so I told them to take a hike and went with the shaw phone and it is actually better, it is more clear and has features that telus didn't support.

All and all I cannot recommend telus to anyone my daughter just got her own place and went with telus hi speed to get the Nano ipod, well that was a month ago and she still doesn't have internet as it won't work and Telus charges big bucks to come out and get you running where with Shaw there is no service fees if they have to come to your house. Also Telus has never been good with the customer service end of things to start with.

Steve

christyf5 12-28-2005 05:05 PM

When I signed with Shaw in 2001 it started out being about $39.95. In the year we had it, it went up to $42.95, $44.95 and finally $46.95. When telus called and offered us ADSL for $36.95 it was a no brainer.

fishface 12-28-2005 05:31 PM

i was using shaw for a few years but after several calls from what seemed like the mafia, they told me i was using too much bandwidth (don't make us tell you again!)...i dumped them for telus. very strange indeed since i was under the impression that unlimited access meant unlimited access...hhmmm, i guess not :)

rickjames 12-28-2005 06:21 PM

Besides my dislikes for Telus, which I won't go into...

I have used ADSL, Shaw, and Shaw in the 3 homes I have lived in and Shaw has been by far the best connection. Better speed, less downtime, etc. Also, and I may be nitpicking here, but having to register your MAC address for ADSL is a royal pain in the @$$. Especially when since the registration tool is an obscure link and the password to use it is indepedent of your userid/password for web administration. So you always end up calling them and talking to the computer on the end (so annoying), and then to someone on their helpdesk. Oh and just a tip, if you talk jibberish to the computer voice on the other line it won't understand you and will put you through to someone right away rather then prompt you with annoying questions.

There that is my .02.

Chad 12-28-2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishface
i was using shaw for a few years but after several calls from what seemed like the mafia, they told me i was using too much bandwidth (don't make us tell you again!)...i dumped them for telus. very strange indeed since i was under the impression that unlimited access meant unlimited access...hhmmm, i guess not :)

Well, anyone who uses the internet for general legit means will never reach their alloted bandwidth. But people who DL pirated Movies or host music swapping etc will eat up their bandwidth fast. Generaly they only hassel you when its been like that for a few months.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-28-2005 07:17 PM

I was considering switching to Telus but I just got off the phone with a Telus Mobility customer service rep. & she was totally unhelpful & totally rude & did a complete disservice for the company. I will now be sticking with Shaw because anytime I called Shaw up, their reps were helpful & courteous. If I didn't just resign up with Telus Mobility, I'd cancel my plan right now. A pox on that customer rep's <fill in body part of choice>!!!!