Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Random Thought Thread (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58269)

Dearth 08-09-2015 02:41 PM

Just starting the build for my new tank and knowing what I know now compared to 2 years ago I wish I was back 2 years ago because I was more willing to spend money then. If I want all brand new equipment I'm pushing 7k it's making me cry.

Coralgurl 08-09-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 961299)
Just starting the build for my new tank and knowing what I know now compared to 2 years ago I wish I was back 2 years ago because I was more willing to spend money then. If I want all brand new equipment I'm pushing 7k it's making me cry.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have picked up more used equipment rather than new, but I had the money then. I've got most of my equipment cleaned and packed away now, looks new again! :lol:

Myka 10-01-2015 02:30 AM

6 weeks and no random thoughts...

jorjef 10-01-2015 03:08 AM

Now that rics seem to be thriving in my nano I can't seem to find decent ones anywhere.

Dearth 10-02-2015 01:03 PM

15 straight nightshifts 4 more to go finally looked at my tank this morning it is going to really need some serious elbow grease to get the glass clean so glad this shutdown is almost over. Hardest thing about working straight nightshifts 12 hrs each shift its really hard to get anything done in between sleeping and going to work.

Zoaelite 10-02-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 965728)
6 weeks and no random thoughts...

Cause and effect.

spit.fire 11-01-2015 05:23 AM

Yup. Still remember why going to bars is a waste of time.... I could be doing a waterchange right now :neutral:

Dearth 11-01-2015 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 968378)
Yup. Still remember why going to bars is a waste of time.... I could be doing a waterchange right now :neutral:

That is one of the reasons I gave up drinking 26 or so yrs ago not to mention haven't set foot in a bar in 10 plus yrs it's not any fun or worth the expense imo

spit.fire 11-01-2015 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 968379)
That is one of the reasons I gave up drinking 26 or so yrs ago not to mention haven't set foot in a bar in 10 plus yrs it's not any fun or worth the expense imo

I used to go to the bar twice a week with my dad to play pool, did until he moved 3 years ago, never once had a drink

I only drink at home, bars don't carry the good stuff anyways

F.H 11-08-2015 10:41 AM

I don't understand why it's so difficult to get a reply. lol.

The amount of people with mannerisms that of random craigslist strangers is staggering.

jorjef 11-23-2015 12:02 AM

The Internet changed mankind in so many more negative ways vs. positive. Really sucks.

Aquattro 11-23-2015 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 970643)
The Internet changed mankind in so many more negative ways vs. positive. Really sucks.

I actually agree. I was thinking the other day, we'd be better off without it. mostly :)

Dearth 11-23-2015 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 970644)
I actually agree. I was thinking the other day, we'd be better off without it. mostly :)

But I couldn't live without it ....without it I might actually have to become a productive member of society and that is scary

jorjef 12-09-2015 02:24 AM

I give up on photo bucket..... It use to be sooooooo easy. Now I can't seem to get it to copy, after ten billion try's it holds, then another twenty billion try's to copy, NOW I can't seem to edit the link before I post and it gives the entire link that if you tap on the posted pic it takes people to my photobucket account...... There has to be a simpler solution.

P.s. F u ...photo bucket, ipad, and Internet. Who the hell moved my rotary dial phone? I need to call my mom.

Aquattro 12-09-2015 02:37 AM

I select a pic, click the IMG box, copied full link, post into thread, remove html tags and leave IMG only, click submit. Takes me about 15 seconds.

Doing this from PC or phone?

kien 12-09-2015 02:40 AM

If you think that's bad, you should try Flickr. Ten times more butt hurt. It'll make you appreciate the photobucket.

jorjef 12-09-2015 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 973281)
I select a pic, click the IMG box, copied full link, post into thread, remove html tags and leave IMG only, click submit. Takes me about 15 seconds.

Doing this from PC or phone?

Ipad. The tabs for copy,select all, etc. never stay one screen for longer than a blink of the eye. What you posted was exactly what until recently I was able to do. Now my iPad is getting close to its best interpretation of a frisbee.

jorjef 12-09-2015 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 973283)
If you think that's bad, you should try Flickr. Ten times more butt hurt. It'll make you appreciate the photobucket.

Feeling only slightly better. Finally have a phone that takes decent pics and then photobucket grief.... One thing or another

kien 12-09-2015 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 973287)
Feeling only slightly better. Finally have a phone that takes decent pics and then photobucket grief.... One thing or another

I feel your first world problems bro. My cell phone's battery only lasts a few minutes now *sad face*

jorjef 12-09-2015 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 973289)
I feel your first world problems bro. My cell phone's battery only lasts a few minutes now *sad face*

Ya I guess I should get out of my bubble and watch some news..(honestly I never ever watch news).. Then things may not seem as bad.....

On a side note my new Note 5 lasted four days before I needed to recharge!!! Granted it's not glued to my hand but wow I was impressed.

Craigdillman 12-09-2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Touche, i feel as tho i have a landline again for how bad my battery is

Myka 12-09-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

What on Earth do you do to it? :eek: I've treated my phones and their batteries terribly (outside in -40C for several hours, dropped once a week, etc) and I've never cracked a screen or killed a battery. How does this happen? Is it just a bunk battery? My laptops needed new batteries, but they are 7 years old... ;)

kien 12-09-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 973333)
What on Earth do you do to it? :eek: I've treated my phones and their batteries terribly (outside in -40C for several hours, dropped once a week, etc) and I've never cracked a screen or killed a battery. How does this happen? Is it just a bunk battery? My laptops needed new batteries, but they are 7 years old... ;)

Well, a few things..

1. my phone is like 4 years old, which by cell phone biology makes it rather geriatric.
2. I'm quite abusive with my phone as well. I run with it quite often which means it is constantly exposed to sweat (and sometimes tears). I run with it all over the world and in the winter so ya, there's definitely hot (ran outside in a humid +40 degrees) and cold (ran outside in a chilly -40).
3. I had my battery replaced this past spring but that didn't really help much. I'm suspecting the charging mechanism is defective now or there's major corrosion somewhere in the phone causing a short.

I could do the whole hardware upgrade thing with my carrier but I've been holding off on that because all the new phones are so gigantic. I'm still rocking an old school 4.7" screen which fits my dainty hands (and pockets) perfectly. In fact, I'm pretty sure they stopped making cell phones altogether and have started to just manufacture small/mini tablets that happen to make calls as well.

oops, I think this stopped being so random.

Aquattro 12-09-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 973338)
(and sometimes tears).

Baby.

kien 12-09-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 973340)
Baby.

Tears of joy! Okay not really. Mostly suffering. Fine, you're right. Carry on.

Reef Pilot 12-09-2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Well, a few things..

1. my phone is like 4 years old, which by cell phone biology makes it rather geriatric.
2. I'm quite abusive with my phone as well. I run with it quite often which means it is constantly exposed to sweat (and sometimes tears). I run with it all over the world and in the winter so ya, there's definitely hot (ran outside in a humid +40 degrees) and cold (ran outside in a chilly -40).
3. I had my battery replaced this past spring but that didn't really help much. I'm suspecting the charging mechanism is defective now or there's major corrosion somewhere in the phone causing a short.

I could do the whole hardware upgrade thing with my carrier but I've been holding off on that because all the new phones are so gigantic. I'm still rocking an old school 4.7" screen which fits my dainty hands (and pockets) perfectly. In fact, I'm pretty sure they stopped making cell phones altogether and have started to just manufacture small/mini tablets that happen to make calls as well.

oops, I think this stopped being so random.

Speaking of geriatric, I finally ditched my old Blackberry Curve. I couldn't kill it. Tried many times. I have fished it out of the lake, dropped it from 20' up onto cement (back cover and batteries exploded out of it), lost it in a snow covered parking lot (fell out when getting out of the car), and found it the next day (luckily no one drove over it). And the batteries are still good...

Bought a new Sony Z5 Premium just last week, quite a step up from the last one, haha. Love it,... and great camera (23 MP)...

Myka 12-09-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Well, a few things..

3. I had my battery replaced this past spring but that didn't really help much.

Well,I hear you. Everyone is like, "Don't you WANT a new phone?" No...I don't. I just got a new one last week so I could give my old one to my step sister who's in university, and this new one is a gigantic pain the butt...auto correcting everything to the wrong words...different buttons...gotta set everything up again...restart Candy crush...soooooo first world annoying.

Oh and I don't think your battery problems have anything to do with your battery

hillegom 12-10-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 973385)
Oh and I don't think your battery problems have anything to do with your battery

I agree
You probably have a lot of apps that run in the background, sucking juice.

kien 12-10-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillegom (Post 973395)
I agree
You probably have a lot of apps that run in the background, sucking juice.

I don't run any apps in the background. I make sure they are completely shut down.

Myka 12-12-2015 11:57 PM

Being a former truck driver on similar roads, Ice Road Truckers drives me bonkers. Soooo, dramatic. Todd is broke down in -30C and has half a tank of fuel. Narrator says he only has 3 hours worth of fuel, and then "they're in big trouble". That's total BS. A half tank of fuel idling will last like 24 hours. :lol:

gregzz4 12-13-2015 12:27 AM

Agreed
Too much drama queen stuff going on there. Guess they can't find anything exciting to film.
I stopped watching it after a couple episodes

Still like Highway Through Hell, but not Hell On The Highway. Total crap knockoff

Myka 12-13-2015 12:38 AM

Ice roads are extremely boring...best to find a good radio station and hunker down. Highway Through Hell in Alberta is filmed on the same highways I hauled on. I've seen a few trucks I know on the show. :lol:

mike31154 12-13-2015 01:24 AM

I used to like watching the odd episode of the fly boys flying old DC3's up north, think the show is Ice Pilots or something similar. Most reality shows of this nature need some extra dramatization to keep folks watching, that is, folks that don't have experience in whatever it is that's going on, whether it be trucking, flying.... Anyone ever actually in those occupations knows how utterly boring it can be.

Either way, it's moot, since I cut the Shaw TV service long time ago & now only pull in Global via antenna in the attic. They don't run those shows, I have to be content with Survivor!

Dearth 12-13-2015 04:34 AM

Had to explain to a lower mainlander tonight what the plug hanging down in front of his rental car grill was for I keep forgetting that they don't get cold or snow and don't know what a block heater is or how it works.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 12-13-2015 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 973800)
Had to explain to a lower mainlander tonight what the plug hanging down in front of his rental car grill was for I keep forgetting that they don't get cold or snow and don't know what a block heater is or how it works.

Heck, half the people I talk to in Metro Vancouver don't even know how to jump start their vehicles and a couple of them had no idea where their car battery is. Now that's just lame.

Myka 12-13-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 973800)

:lol: ...and he'll be driving away with it still plugged in for sure!

What scared me when I was logging is all the guys that didn't know how to put on chains! Logging = chains. There was a time when I was chaining up my truck, and there was a new guy there already that obviously was having a heck of time. I had my chains on in about 6 minutes, and he still wasn't done. Being a female trucker, it's hard to try to give most men any tips or anything, so I didn't usually bother unless I was asked, but the guy had the one on inside out (the spiky gripper parts going into the tires rather than going onto the ground). I offered a hand, but he wasn't interested, so I just suggested he might want to "turn that one right way out", he told me the spiky parts kept the chains from slipping on the tires and I should mind my own business. Ok, fair enough. So 45 minutes later I'm on my way out when I hear on the radio that "an empty" (a truck coming in) is stuck on the hill. It's buddy with the inside out chains! So me along with 3 other trucks have to wait over an hour for the grader to get over there and drag the guy up the hill while harassing him for having his "jewelry" on inside out. He didn't look at me on his way by. Maybe a little :o I never saw him again after that. I think maybe he pooped his pants on the way out with a load on, and decided it wasn't for him.

Dearth 12-13-2015 02:25 PM

Yup I used to help my dad put chains on all the time (he worked for highways) and it was funny watching highway long haul truck drivers laughing at my dad for putting chains on a dump truck yet a few miles up the road who do we see usually it was the drivers who didn't put chains on either stuck or struggling to put chains on.

Sadly for me if I was to try it today I would struggle to put chains on been 20 years since I've helped put chains on.

Dearth 12-14-2015 01:36 AM

I am gonna rant

Why is it that at Christmas time almost everyone panic shops I realize some people it comes down to finances and time to do so but for the rest of us there is no excuse all my shopping is always done last week of November first week of December. Most people wait and procrastinate then the fire works begin I've seen fights and shopper rage over the stupidest things I've watched middle aged women go at each other like we see during the US Black Friday sales and worst of all I've watched as children are pushed, stepped on and yelled at just because some idiot is panic shopping or in their own world.

Christmas I think has lost its lustre and people really don't understand that this is for the kids this is their time to shine and be happy. I don't go for all the religious nonsense but I do believe that this is a special time of year for the kids as for them its magical and allows them to escape reality. Adults it seems often forget who this is for and become raving lunatics who must run to be the first to get xx toy, item or what have you.

Slow down enjoy Christmas for what it is not shopping chaos, trampled kids and ****sed off shoppers

Rant off

Myka 12-14-2015 02:08 AM

I'm done Christmas shopping. The first time I've ever been done before Dec 23rd. I must say it's MUCH better shopping early. I won't go back to last minute shopping.

e46er 12-14-2015 04:00 AM

yea i should really get on that christmas shopping considering im leaving town in 4 days..........damnit