Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   kien's 150g Room Divider Mixed Reef & Stuff (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54164)

Dearth 03-11-2014 06:26 AM

One thing about this hobby(infatuation) is it always finds a way to throw a curve ball at you and leaves you wondering what the hell you got yourself into

On another note I love your tank I salivate every time I see pictures of it I can only hope to one day be in your league(shameless buttering you up)

Reef Pilot 03-11-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 885454)
Fast forward another couple of weeks and I finally made the time to sort out the tank. So back in January I had noticed that the water in my RO/DI reservoir had a slight odor to it. I dismissed it at the time because I thought that maybe the order was from the basement itself and not from the water. It was pretty faint. As time went on the oder got stronger. I checked my inline TDS meter and it said everything was okay (zero TDS). What finally clued me in was when my son said, "Daddy, why does the water smell?" after I cracked open a fresh bucket of RO/DI. He was right. It did smell. I guess I forgot about it and kinda got used to it. I checked my TDS meter again and it still said zero TDS. Well, that can't be right can it? I started to doubt this. So I pulled out my external hand held TDS meter. It said zero too. Well, the water must be okay. I kept using it, even though it smelled a bit funny. In hind sight, I really shouldn't have, but I trusted my instruments. Finally I broke down and got a new TDS meter. Sure enough the the new TDS meter read a very very non zero TDS value. FRAK!

My DI instructions say that an odor means the DI is fully depleted. They call it a "fishy" smell.

kien 03-11-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 885480)
On another note I love your tank I salivate every time I see pictures of it I can only hope to one day be in your league(shameless buttering you up)

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 885497)
My DI instructions say that an odor means the DI is fully depleted. They call it a "fishy" smell.

Ya, I guess part of my problem was that I'm quite used to fishy smells around the house. But as I said, another lesson learned! I won't make that mistake a third time.

Reef Pilot 03-11-2014 02:01 PM

Well, your pics from a couple months ago sure look good! Hope it gets back to that, and even better soon. Want to see more pics again, then. And I envy anyone with a peninsula tank...

kien 03-11-2014 02:37 PM

All things considered, it actually wasn't that bad. In other words, it could have been a lot worse. Thankfully no fish were lost, all my LPS and clams came out unscathed as well. Just my most delicate (ie expensive) SPS were hit, figures. But most importantly, I did not lose one single blue clove polyp, thank God !

Seriak 03-11-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 885506)
But most importantly, I did not lose one single blue clove polyp, thank God !

lmao!

Slyguy00 03-11-2014 05:45 PM

Wow those are some awesome pics!

reefermadness 03-11-2014 07:19 PM

sorry to hear about the slight trouble but the tank looks Great Kien.

gregzz4 03-12-2014 01:31 AM

Jeepers, you wouldn't know by those pics that you'd lost any corals

Ram3500 03-12-2014 02:30 AM

Keep up the good work Kien ! Your journal inspired me and I'm sure manny others to get serious about reefing . :thumb: