Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Ok, let's hear it! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101184)

Aquattro 10-15-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynemah (Post 851698)
Brad, what are you doing for a bulb combination?

I've played with it a bunch over the weekend and found this combination one of the best. Spots 3 and 6 are on a different circuit, so the sunrise/sunset looks kinda washed, I miss the LED Royal Blue at point in the day...

--Front--
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Purple+
Aquablue Special
Blue+
Purple +
Blue+
--Back--

I'm not sure yet. I have 2 each of Blue+, Coral+, Purple+, and waiting for 2 back ordered Aquablue specials. In the interim, I have a couple of KZ 15k bulbs which I think look like garbage, so probably won't keep them in once the specials show up.
The blue+ take the 2 bulb circuit for the actinic effect, but I haven't really finalized the distribution. The light is still on my table waiting for 2 more fans. Currently I have a 4' unit resting on top of the tank between two SOLs. No idea what bulbs or age of bulbs, but anxious to get the new unit fired up.

Spyd 10-15-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 851730)
I'm not sure yet. I have 2 each of Blue+, Coral+, Purple+, and waiting for 2 back ordered Aquablue specials. In the interim, I have a couple of KZ 15k bulbs which I think look like garbage, so probably won't keep them in once the specials show up.
The blue+ take the 2 bulb circuit for the actinic effect, but I haven't really finalized the distribution. The light is still on my table waiting for 2 more fans. Currently I have a 4' unit resting on top of the tank between two SOLs. No idea what bulbs or age of bulbs, but anxious to get the new unit fired up.

I would do away with the Aquablue Specials and just get 2 more Blue +. The Aquablue Specials are like the Coral Plus except even whiter IMO. Your tank would look too white, unless you like that look. I run a 8 x 80w ATI with 5 - Blue Plus, 2 - Coral Plus and 1 - Purple Plus. It's still not super blue, but it is not completely white either. Just my opinion.

Proteus 10-15-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynemah (Post 851698)
I miss the LED Royal Blue at point in the day...

Same for me while the halide is doing things the radion only dreamed about I miss the RB
I ordered a RB led retro kit so hoping to have that soon

Spyd 10-15-2013 12:29 PM

I just ordered some DIY RB LED kits for my ATI Fixture. I will be running a strip of RB off of both sides of my fixture. That way I get some additional PAR, along with the nice LED pop and shimmer.

I am using 2" wide extruded aluminim for heat sinks. I don't have a canopy so I need a nice clean look and this would be best.

Aquattro 10-15-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyd (Post 851732)
I would do away with the Aquablue Specials and just get 2 more Blue +. The Aquablue Specials are like the Coral Plus except even whiter IMO. Your tank would look too white, unless you like that look. I run a 8 x 80w ATI with 5 - Blue Plus, 2 - Coral Plus and 1 - Purple Plus. It's still not super blue, but it is not completely white either. Just my opinion.

I'll keep that in mind. It's what I have now, so I'll use it, but I'm sure things will change once I run it for a while. My only guide was the description for the bulbs :)
I do want to try and find a strip of blue LED that I can hook into my Apex for extra blue, some ramping and a bit of shimmer. Let me know how your add-ons work.

kien 10-15-2013 01:49 PM

Sounds like all y'alls are feeling a little blue after switching from LEDS. I'm blue la-da-dee da-dee-da da-da-dee da-dee-da

lastlight 10-15-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 851735)
I do want to try and find a strip of blue LED that I can hook into my Apex for extra blue

and so it begins. before that which is just beginning has barely begun.:mrgreen:

Aquattro 10-15-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 851743)
and so it begins. before that which is just beginning has barely begun.:mrgreen:

No, it began before it begun! The plan was always to add a strip of LED, as I really do love the ramping ability. Choosing blue is simply a matter of providing an actinic type dimming effect.

waynemah 10-16-2013 12:58 AM

I find it's a give and take relationship with this hobby. The RB is what I'll give up for the coverage I'm after. Tank seems quite a bit brighter though.

Brad, do you prefer a more white or blue look to a tank? The combination I choose is more white than a SOL Blue with 100% white and 80% on CB/RB. I'm very happy with it. I just hope the corals gain some coloration over the next while.

Aquattro 10-16-2013 01:01 AM

I prefer a more blue look, the SOLs were at 100% on both blue and 96% on white. I suppose I'll have to tune the color once I have it in place a while, or I'll get used to whatever color it gives :)