Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Proteus' Shallow reef build (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95824)

reefwars 10-02-2013 03:22 PM

weird..

kien 10-02-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 848848)
i dropped leds all together for the time being except for my fuges , running t5 tek fixtures and all i can say is its a complete turn around , growth is incredible, colors are what they are supposed to be, healing corals heal quicker and encrusting corals are encrusting faster, its funny how you dont notice the small things untill you get them back.

some corals loved leds , alot hated them.....at least t5 and halide can keep a larger variety of corals happier continuously.

i had the biggest trouble in particular with sps color, encrusting....chalices would bleach easily and in turn mess with the colors and patterns, some lps like scolys,symphyllias and favias would either take it or reject it.

last going off my pros were at 35% peak , and half the colors were off and still was messing with corals.

OH NOES! Not you too!

reefwars 10-02-2013 03:26 PM

i dropped leds all together for the time being except for my fuges , running t5 tek fixtures and all i can say is its a complete turn around , growth is incredible, colors are what they are supposed to be, healing corals heal quicker and encrusting corals are encrusting faster, its funny how you dont notice the small things untill you get them back, i think i slowly got use to how leds were and not noticing what was happening.

some corals loved leds , alot hated them.....at least t5 and halide can keep a larger variety of corals happier continuously.

i had the biggest trouble in particular with sps colors and encrusting....chalices would bleach easily and in turn mess with the colors and patterns, some lps like scolys,symphyllias and favias would either take it or reject it.

last going off my pros were at 35% peak , and half the coral colors were off completely and still was messing with thin fleshed corals, made it to 85% and then had to cut it off.....this is 12"AWL

watching the progress pics of certain corals made me second guess the light , the immediate results i got from going back to t5 made me drop them all together and sell them off.

for the price of the pros and other high end leds and with tek going out of business i was able to buy some used tek lights cheap , and enough bulbs to last 3-4 yrs....and still have enough to take the wife out for supper lol

bingo!!!

Proteus 10-02-2013 03:40 PM

I talk to a few reefers. Brad,Kien,D.V,Dave and tony. I believe I have made the right choice on the halide. And I consulted Denny on the radion pro as I did consider that route. Being the same price as the halide.

I love this forum for the fact that I've learned there is great advise from seasoned reefers here. And though I've been in hobby for three years I am still new and count on all of you.

Thanks peoples

waynemah 10-02-2013 04:02 PM

Glad your making good use of that light! Can't wait to see what it does to the corals.

My ATI 8 bulb should be here any day :mrgreen:

kien 10-02-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynemah (Post 848862)
Glad your making good use of that light! Can't wait to see what it does to the corals.

OH NOES not you too! I don't even know what's going on anymore!

Proteus 10-02-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynemah (Post 848862)

Nice choice Wayne. Gunna have some hydras for sale soon?

I think I got a touch of burnt retina from staring into the bulb. Haha

wayner 10-02-2013 04:11 PM

Yup - going ATI Hybrid - T5/LED - first time for everything :biggrin:

Proteus 10-02-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner (Post 848865)
Yup - going ATI Hybrid - T5/LED - first time for everything :biggrin:

Very nice. Seems to have amazing reviews

Proteus 10-02-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 848863)
OH NOES not you too! I don't even know what's going on anymore!

It's a revolution