Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Let's talk about skimmers (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108918)

Aquattro 11-16-2014 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StirCrazy (Post 921363)
Have I got a skimmer for you :wink: might be a little tall for your stand but you could put this baby beside the stand, dual becket injection driven by two Mark 4's :mrgreen:

Steve

S'ok, I have a BK now, they're apparently the cadillacs of skimmers :)

Skim 11-16-2014 06:52 AM

Did you get a new BK?

Aquattro 11-16-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skim (Post 921390)
Did you get a new BK?

No, they're ridiculously over priced. I got a really good deal on a used one. Very good skimmer, just not worth what they charge, IMO

Skim 11-16-2014 05:38 PM

Good stuff, I have heard the new ones are having problems with the pumps and range 250 to 800 for new ones once out side of warranty.

Aquattro 11-16-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skim (Post 921420)
Good stuff, I have heard the new ones are having problems with the pumps and range 250 to 800 for new ones once out side of warranty.

Yup, always a problem I think. I replaced my pump with a Laguna block for cheap and away I go :)

Myka 11-17-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 921441)
Yup, always a problem I think. I replaced my pump with a Laguna block for cheap and away I go :)

That's the trick. Just find a pump that fits and matches flow rate and you're golden. I never buy the branded skimmer pump as a replacement. For example, the Vertex IN series use rebranded Resun pumps and them puppies are CHEAP to replace! :D I own about 8 or maybe 10 skimmers and I have a plethora of random pumps hanging out waiting to be used. I hate throwing things into the landfill, so I replace pumps when they die. I have some OLD skimmer bodies. Interestingly, I haven't had a Sicce pump die, and a couple of my Vertex IN skimmers still have original pumps. What I hate is when I drop a skimmer cup...

Aquattro 11-17-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 921540)
That's the trick. Just find a pump that fits and matches flow rate and you're golden. I never buy the branded skimmer pump as a replacement. For example, the Vertex IN series use rebranded Resun pumps and them puppies are CHEAP to replace! :D I own about 8 or maybe 10 skimmers and I have a plethora of random pumps hanging out waiting to be used. I hate throwing things into the landfill, so I replace pumps when they die. I have some OLD skimmer bodies. Interestingly, I haven't had a Sicce pump die, and a couple of my Vertex IN skimmers still have original pumps. What I hate is when I drop a skimmer cup...

Particularly when a manufacturer takes a regular pump and glues a shiny sticker to it then triples the price :) It's ridiculous!
As for old pumps, I still have my original ER Sedra pumps, running on 10 years.

Skimmerking 06-07-2020 03:08 PM

So fella what did ya get i know bringing up a old thread..

Skimmerking 06-07-2020 03:09 PM

DP

WarDog 06-07-2020 04:53 PM

Brad traded his skimmers for farm equipment.