Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   280g Inwall (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38773)

lastlight 02-21-2009 09:23 PM

Cube has a nice natural look to it...and that sailfin is so boss! I was pretty sure the only tang in the new tank would be a kole...but that thing is gorgeous!

So the tank you're taking down is simply in the way of your new tank stuff?

danny zubot 02-22-2009 04:40 AM

Hey Tony, where is the monster who used to reside in that cube? Sorry if I missed that info, but I haven't been around much lately.

Glad to see things are moving along! I'm sad that I won't be able to see the new tank in person now.......unless you host a reef meeting in the future.:wink: Then it would be worth while to drive back for a visit.

High tide 02-22-2009 05:23 AM

Nice clam tank! That is one huge maxima on the sand, how big is that thing?

Delphinus 02-22-2009 06:12 AM

High Tide - thanks, "Big Bertha" there is actually a squamosa. Had him/her almost 4 years now, was more like 5"-6" back then and is now easily the size of a football. At one point there actually was a commensal shrimp living inside, although lately I haven't been able to get a glimpse of it in a while - the way the clam sits in this tank, the inhalant siphon is facing away from the glass so you can't peek inside anymore. Here's a fuzzy picture I once was able to snap though:
http://members.shaw.ca/hobiesailor/a..._squamosa1.jpg

Cash - yeah, apparently I have an addictive personality or something. Right now there are only 12 though, I'm sure Michika still has me beat! :lol: It doesn't help (or maybe, "it does help", I'm not sure, it depends on one's point of view), that I haven't been able to grow SPS of any kind to save my life for the last couple of years .. but clams have been doing well, so just started focusing on them instead. And next thing I knew I was sort of "uhhh, how did I end up buying so many of these things?" .. But I just love tridacnids. I love the textures and patterns and iridescences and colours .. so I guess that doesn't help either. :redface: Easily my favourite part of the hobby, followed by gorgonians.

Lastlight - thanks! Yeah, the 75g is sort of in the way of getting my electrical signoff, so in my mind it has to come down before I can progress on the 280g. It's sitting right where a wall needs to be framed up, and I'm just sort of hoping to have the permitation and inspection done once instead of a couple of times.

I'm really digging the look of the cube at the moment. For the most part the fish all know each other and seem to get along comfortably (touch wood). I was a little worried how the resident doliatus pair would take to the tang getting moved into their tank .. but it was a complete non-issue - actually, it's been good for them. (They're schooling behind him. "DAD! Wait up, don't leave us behind!!!") Suddenly they are less skittish, and they are coloured up more than ever.

Danny - I had to sell that thing. It was an enormous burden and the novelty of such a large anemone without being able to keep fish in the tank was grinding me down. Ironically, I meant to tear down and sell the cube within a week of selling it - but then Michika had a tank disaster and I ended up babysitting some fish for her. It was literally perfect timing - she needed tank space and I suddenly had an almost empty and perfectly cycled tank. Then by the time the fish went to their real home again I had already decided to use the 115g as a bridge solution for getting my 75g down before the 280g is ready to take on fish.

I hope I can host a reef meet by say summertime.. it's been a while since we had these things regularly so maybe that can be a goal??

Lance 02-22-2009 06:22 AM

That's cool Tony! I've heard of pearls in oysters; but shrimps in clams, that's a new one to me.

Delphinus 02-22-2009 06:30 AM

Yeah I was totally surprised especially given that the clams are (presumably) aquacultured, but I guess the ocean is still the ocean and anything goes! :) FWIW, it was suggested to me at RC that it could be Conchodytes tridacnae or Anchistus miersi (thread here, if anyone's interested: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=855961& )

High tide 02-22-2009 07:13 AM

That's awesome, interspecific relationships are wild! Nice shot of it as well! You're clam fooled me, that would've been the biggest maxima i'd ever seen!!! Beautiful display!

michika 02-22-2009 02:41 PM

I'm glad it went over well, the 110 looks really good. I always loved the shape of that tank and the way you've aquascaped it.

Let me know if you need any wiring help today. Kevin is in town today, and again next weekend if you want. I also want to come and ogle your clams some more. For the record, I think I have 13 clams.

Rbacchiega 02-22-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 391289)
. For the record, I think I have 13 clams.

Yeah, yeah....well I have..... two :hat:

banditpowdercoat 02-23-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rbacchiega (Post 391304)
Yeah, yeah....well I have..... two :hat:

I got NONE......:sad: