PDA

View Full Version : TANK IN TROUBLE!

MCC
06-22-2004, 08:41 AM
hello,

guys help me out!!

my tank is overheatin in this damn heat!! ah!!!

i already lost two fish and one coral is doin bad in my coral tank already...but i sovled that heat problem by putin a fan on it..so it is stable at 27 degrees now

but my PROBLEM is...my other fish only tank!!! it is constantly at 86 F !
i m scared guys..i dont wanna lose my fish and aneomes in that tank..!! i already have my lights on at night time already...but still it is at 86F!!! and i cant lower my lighting period that much coz i have and plannin on more anemoes..so they require lights....and i have no room or a way to fit another fan like i do with my other tank's heat problem.....

i m sure not everyone on this forum has the extra $$ to buy a chiller for their tanks..and i m sure everyone has a tank durin summer time :smile:

so can u experiece aquarist give me tips on how to keep my temperture of my tank in check?!

i m running...110watt pc lights with a 40watt NO tube on a 48gallon tank...

thanks for your help ASAP!!

jacky
06-22-2004, 08:46 AM
put a large fan at window to lower room temperature?
block sun light into the room?

my tank is constant at 82 now...

DEAD_BY_DAWN
06-22-2004, 09:45 AM
i read that you could lower the temp by putting a jug of frozen water in the sump,but not to sure how affective this method is

Chad
06-22-2004, 02:10 PM
i read that you could lower the temp by putting a jug of frozen water in the sump,but not to sure how affective this method is

Yeah, or you could use frozen cubs of RO water. Use it as evap top off..

There most be room for another fan? Get one of those stand alone ones.. just prop it in front of the tank or something.

TANGOMAN
06-22-2004, 02:14 PM
The 48g is 4' x 12" ? Is it an enclosed canopy ? There'd be room for four 4" fans, 3" for sure...? Two pushin', two pullin". Glass covers ? If so yank 'em ! Sump ? The frozen jug will surely help. Lot's of extra's though as they don't last long. I use 'em too butt it's a PITA ! Definately keep direct sunlight off the tank and if the room temp can be lowered, great.
More fans blowin' on the sump will help. Fans blowing on the water surface is the most economical method of heat reduction. The rate of evaporation will sky-rocket but that is the method in which the heat is removed.
I suppose you could wrap the tank with a damp towel and direct a fan on it, but that would look kinda' goofy now wouldn't it... :confused: . Don't laugh, it's the best way to keep a six-pack cool when you're at the beach !

p.s. The longest day of the year has passed so don't worry my friends, soon it will snow... :eek:

TANGOMAN
06-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I wanted to try cubes of frozen RO but they wouldn't fit through the top-up float valve opening :confused: ... :lol:
(sorry, it's early...)

Sushiman
06-22-2004, 02:35 PM
This is exactly how my set up crashed & crashed hard three years ago, I still don't have a chiller but it is going to happen asap with the revamped set-up I working on.
Heat has always been my nemisis. It has killed I estimate about $400-$600 worth os corals & fish over the years. Here's what I know:
-spend the $$$ on a chiller, look at the cost of the live stock I've lost, could have easily bought a new chiller for that. :cry:
-in the meantime, A/C has kept me out of the frying pan (barely), my tank still creeps up to the bottom of the deathzone in heat like this, the only snails that can survive in my tank right now are Turbos.
-fans across the surface of your tank, lighting fixtures & sump do help.
-reduce your photoperiod to absolute minimum, or reverse it completly, or both!
-I have had little to no sucess in floating anything smaller than a 2L pop bottle of frozen H2O in my sump. You'll need several of these to have any hope, and that's for a small set-up. This really is futile in my experience. Works only if your really prepared and able to wwatch your tank closely & constantly.
-take all covers off the tank & sump to encourage evaporation.
-ensure steady top-up H20, bigger volume fights the heat better.

I am determined that my new set-up is not going to go through this crap, it has decimated my tank for years. I will be off to J&L's for a chiller very soon.
Hope this helped.
:onfire:

DOO-E
06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Uhhh hey guys why not put the tank downstairs. Sure it will be alot of work but it is alot cooler down there?. Or maybe you dont have a basement and you can then like everybody said buy a chiller. What about opening the canopy in the back to let heat out. This would not effect the look of the tank any and would let alot of freakin heat out. Then direct the fans so they ar puching air into the tank.

MCC
06-22-2004, 05:11 PM
rthanks for ur reply

but the thing is....
1. it is not in direct sunlight...
2. i turn on the lights at night time now...where there is no sunlight
3. it is open striplights of Pc and NO tube..

hm....a standing fan...tat might be considered...

anyother ways then a standing fan?
coz my mom is SUPER picky about extra things around the room

or...i can compromise tat she can use the fan in the hot afternoon...while i use it to cool down my lights at night time :razz:

i will see wher ei can find a cheap standing fan

thanks again guys

anymore ideas send away! i really need more help...lucky my fish only tank..only has a damsel in there rite now....till i can fix the heat problem i better not add some more fish

LostMind
06-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Go to Canadian tire and get a couple of clip on fans to clip on the side of the tank.

If you can't use fans, thern you are in for a lot of manual labour - freezing bottles of water and dropping them in the tank, then removing them and refreezing them and putting them back in the tank.

Or you could spend outrageous money on a whole bunch of peltier devices...

Beyond that, your options are really simple - get a chiller, or use more fans...

Seamonkey
06-25-2004, 02:29 AM
I had the same problem last weekend in my 45 gal. I used a stand fan on high with it rotating in front of tank towards the top where the lights are. I put it on a timer so it shut off at night. (I was worried it might work to well.) It worked great and didn't cost me anything as I already had the fan. (My tank runs on a power compac lighting with small fans that came with the unit. :lol: