Bryan_k47
08-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Hi
I have a 5 gallon Chi
Only have one damsel in it
A 6-7 lb piece of live rock covered in Zoa Frags
Half dozen snails and hermits
No sand but I have dead coral spread on the bottom for zoas to grow on to

Was wondering what you Nano/Pico pros would recommend for filtration on the tank
Right now I have a Eheim HOB with a bag of Carbon in it and the Eheim filter that is used for the HOB
Used to running a larger tank with sump, this is all new to me.

Thanks
Bryan

spit.fire
08-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Aqua clear with hydroton

Bryan_k47
08-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Aqua clear with hydroton
Hydroton ?

canadianbudz604
08-14-2013, 04:56 AM
Hydroton is like expanded clay. I used purigen on my 10g and it worked really well. U don't even really need anything though. Hydroton will also work well, heard its really hard to clean though

JmeJReefer
08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
A modded aqua clear 50 with a refugium would work well. Once ur system is established, your live rock will be ur bio filtration and the hob filters are just for chemical filtration and floss. Purigen, chemipure elite, clear fx pro work well.

Bryan_k47
08-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Why would I need a refugium on a tank like this ?
So a hob is not needed hmmmmm interesting.
Need to do something though. Water isn't exactly clear. I do weekly water changes
Thoughts on prodibio in a nano ?

Dearth
08-15-2013, 09:01 AM
A refuge in a modified aquaclear will do the same thing as a skimmer on a system that small

If your water isn't clear how much are you feeding your damsel, is the tank experiencing temp swings, how big are your water changes, what kind of water are you using(ie. tap water, filtered water from store, RO/RODI and so on)

Madreefer
08-15-2013, 10:44 AM
A refuge in a modified aquaclear will do the same thing as a skimmer on a system that small

Am I reading this wrong? Please explain how.

Dearth
08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Am I reading this wrong? Please explain how.

Nope it's a new idea that recently come out for nano systems under 7 gallons there has been a lot of banter over this on other forums like nano reef. In essence take a basic Aquaclear put in chaeto on an algae mat in the chamber slow down the water flow by either putting a smaller impellor in or cutting the blades and the chaeto helps act as a skimmer by trapping organic particles and also releasing nutrients back into the system and doing weekly water changes helps control the PH and nitrates. Mind you the larger the system the less effective this becomes hence it is recommended for nano systems smaller than 7 gallons

Madreefer
08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Another good reason to stay on Canreef or RC for info. :biggrin:
I'd never try that nor suggest that to anyone other than the days way back when I used to smoke alot of pot.

Bryan_k47
08-15-2013, 03:56 PM
What would you suggest Madreefer ?

Madreefer
08-15-2013, 04:14 PM
With your setup just continue using what you have. Take out any sponge or whatever is in that filter and fill it with liverock rubble. I'm not up on the cannister filters as it's been years since I ran one. And just regular WC's. If your carbon is'nt old I cant see why you should have cloudy water. You sure it's not microbubbles?

Bryan_k47
08-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Well the tank has only been running for about 6-8 weeks. I started with dead rock. The rock is covered in dark green now.
I'm running a Par38 light on it.

I'm gonna pull the sponge filter and run a bag of carbon and phosguard in the hob I think

JmeJReefer
08-15-2013, 06:16 PM
The refugium acts as nutrient control, and a safehouse for pods n critters. water changes done regularly will control this as well. Do you feed live/frozen foods? That will affect a nano hugely! A quality flake or pellet food seems to heavily reduce nutrients that frozen foods put in...
Have you a test kit for nutrients? It will help ya narrow down Wut could be a source for trouble...
There r many arguments for and against a nano-refugium type setup (usually modded aqua clears), I have tried both and found that they are beneficial, and can clear up the display ei; you can stuff ur heater n such in there for a cleaner look!
This coupled with a solid maintenance routine will do the trick!
IMO

MarieH
08-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm using the big 110 on a 10g nano. I cut the impeller each opposing flange to reduce the flow. I cut the media basket, made a screen out of the bottom section, to keep chaeto inside,used the side scetions to partition baffles. In it I have 6.5 ounce bag of chemipure elite, chaeto in the mid section, and an aquaticlife mini skimmer. I put my tetra heater in the intake division. Nothing inside the tank except the intake tube and a koralia nano 240 powerhead. Nice n neat. I have a clip on led lamp and light the chaeto at night. I'm using a 38 par bulb with an 80 degree spread. Its all humming along nicely. Aquaclears rule. IN Tank.com makes media baskets for all the aquaclears but its cheaper and easy to diy.

Koleswrath
08-22-2013, 10:20 PM
This is an interesting and simple way to approach nanos/picos. Same basic methodology as The Reef Tank's "Reefkeeping Made Easy" (which is a must read in my opinion - unfortunately it's 50+ pages long)

http://www.livingreefs.com/new-pico-reef-3-years-old-1-gallon-vase-t19119.html

Greg

Mr.shrimp
09-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Interesting ideas, running a 2.5 gallon refugium on my 20 long i would have to agree, nano tanks are easy with a refugium, mine doesn't have any other filter system and as a result I don't really have to do 25 percent water changes, once a month, the cheato from the fuge cleans the water, and creates a haven for tons of bugs, hang on back the bigger the better as it will also increase your overall tank size , say 7 gallon with a 2.5 now you've got a 9.5, never ending supply of bugs, filter that can help you control the stability of a small system, and increase your bio load while doing less water changes and maintenance, can't see running a tank with out one now that i have one,night and day from before. My only regret is that I didn't buy the 5 gallon refugium:idea:, next time I guess.

Baker
09-15-2013, 02:56 AM
I have to agree with the fuge. I had a 3 gallon picotope and had about 6lbs of rock and running a ac70 modded fuge and I rarely did any water changes. The tank was super clean and really healthy. I ran a bag of carbon and live rock rubble below the chaeto.