PDA

View Full Version : Cad Lights Conic Bio Reactor Advice

htfn
08-13-2013, 07:17 PM
I purchased a reactor last week end to upgrade? previous TLF reactor. I set up and everything seems to be OK but bio pellets clumps up at top of reactor. I did everything I could think of. please give me an advice, it drives me a crazy.
Thanks

reeferfulton
08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Did you soak your pellets for a few days first ?

I find that i soak mine and shake the crap out of them before adding to reactor.
Then there are still some that will float to the top. but after a day or too and a little shake they will drop down with the rest of there pellet buddies :biggrin:

htfn
08-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Did you soak your pellets for a few days first ?

I find that i soak mine and shake the crap out of them before adding to reactor.
Then there are still some that will float to the top. but after a day or too and a little shake they will drop down with the rest of there pellet buddies :biggrin:

I soaked them in RO water more than 24 hours and I've doing all the things but I just can't win.

Reef Pilot
08-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Did you dose MB7 starting 2 weeks before adding the bio pellets? That also prevents clumping and any build-up of mulm.

And be sure to adjust your flow to get good pellet tumbling.

htfn
08-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Did you dose MB7 starting 2 weeks before adding the bio pellets? That also prevents clumping and any build-up of mulm.

And be sure to adjust your flow to get good pellet tumbling.

No I don't dose MB7. I just switch reactor and use new pellets. Do I need dose? I think my pump is highest flow but I don't see the pellets tumbling aggresive.

Reef Pilot
08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Yes, MB7 works very well with bio pellets. We just had a big discussion about this on another recent thread.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=837737#post837737

I use the Vertex UF20 and it works great. I adjust the flow so that the pellets just tumble slowly. Maybe you have your flow too high and it forces the pellets all to the top. When I add new pellets, I sometimes get some that float to the top (trapped air not shaken loose) and I will adjust the flow quickly from stop to high flow a couple times to get them to sink back to the bottom again.

htfn
08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
OK my clumps problem solved at this moment. Thanks guys.

I had dosed MB7 when I introduced biopellets into my system at the first time. I was told when I finished a bottle, I didn't have to dose it anymore, so I hadn't dose for long time. I'm running GFO, Carbon and biopellets. Do you guys recommend to keep dosing MB7?
I appriciate your info. Thanks

Reef Pilot
08-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I always dose MB7, but at the low dosage level on an continual basis. When I add bio pellets or see any cyano, I go back to heavy dosing for at least a few days.

htfn
08-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I always dose MB7, but at the low dosage level on an continual basis. When I add bio pellets or see any cyano, I go back to heavy dosing for at least a few days.

OK, I'll try and see what happen. Thanks.