PDA

View Full Version : Firefish

JTrigger
06-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Does anyone here have more than 1 firefish in his/her tank? I was just curious about the whole pairing thing v. putting in more than 1 and all but one ending up dead due to aggression.

JT

christyf5
06-21-2004, 10:52 PM
I had 2 in my tank (it was a 48G at the time). They were fine together for quite awhile (a year or so) then I noticed that one was getting noticeably larger than the other and would chase the smaller one when it got too close (pretty much as soon as it came out of hiding). They always slept together at night. The chasing was getting pretty bad and I thought I may lose the littler one due to starvation as I was having difficulties target feeding it without the larger one scaring it off. Then the larger one croaked. Now I have one happy little firefish.

Christy :)

JTrigger
06-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Wow, interesting sequence of events there Christy... at least the little one's doing OK now :biggrin: . Are these purple firefish or?

JT

christyf5
06-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Ya these certainly were some weird fish. I just have the regular orange ones, Nemateleotris magnifica. I've thought about adding another one but if they're gonna try to kill each other this one will just have to lead the single life :razz:

IslandReefer
06-21-2004, 11:08 PM
My experience is the same as Christys. My purple chases the orange but no real aggression. For now I also target feed, untill the politics gets worked out.
Having lots of places to hide helps a lot.

Bob I
06-22-2004, 02:43 AM
I have two Purple Firefish in my 33G cube. They get along just fine. :eek:

DOO-E
06-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Why not put 3 or 4 in a tank and let them pair off? this may be a bit more expensive but if you want a pair it would be the way to go.