PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Tufa rock?

spikehs
06-21-2004, 04:14 PM
I am looking for some Tufa rock, I sell Big Al's sells it, but I am sure I could get it cheaper elsewhere, does anyone have any idea where I can get some? Big Al's had some nice arch pieces - does it come in these forms in other places, or is it just solid pieces, I was hoping to get some really porus (sp?) stuff.

AJ_77
06-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Try Riverfront.

Delphinus
06-21-2004, 05:16 PM
I wonder if a place like Burnco would sell it. Of course, you might need to purchase about 7,000 lbs of it .... :lol:

BMW Rider
06-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Try Ornamental Landscape Supply. They are just to the east of Deerfoot mall off of 11th Street. I got some rainbow rock there a couple of years ago for my freshwater wintering tank, and it was about a hundred times cheaper than the aquarium shops sell it for. I bought forty or so pounds of it, and it cost less than one small piece at Pisces. Of course I had to wash it well as it was kind of dirty. I know they had lava rock there way cheaper too, so they may also have tufa.

Quinn
06-21-2004, 08:50 PM
When I was planning to use tufa in my 150 I was going to get it from http://www.tufa.bc.ca, but I eventually decided against it due to the possibility of metallic impurities.

whaase
06-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Try Ornamental Landscape Supply. They are just to the east of Deerfoot mall off of 11th Street. I got some rainbow rock there a couple of years ago for my freshwater wintering tank, and it was about a hundred times cheaper than the aquarium shops sell it for. I bought forty or so pounds of it, and it cost less than one small piece at Pisces. Of course I had to wash it well as it was kind of dirty. I know they had lava rock there way cheaper too, so they may also have tufa.

That's where I bought a bunch from. I think it was $0.30-$0.40/lbs, lots to choose from aswell. It was seeding with coraline really well before I changed tanks.

Walter

reefhawk
06-22-2004, 07:14 AM
"When I was planning to use tufa in my 150 I was going to get it from http://www.tufa.bc.ca, but I eventually decided against it due to the possibility of metallic impurities"

I know this guy personally and if you tell him its for your aquarium he will take special care. It is natuarally occuring all around the cheryville area of B.C.