PDA

View Full Version : Media bag inside a reactor?

MarkoD
08-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Just wondering if its ok to put Gfo and carbon into media bags and then put that into a reactor. I just like the idea or swapping the media bags as it'll make less mess. Is this just as good as running it straight it the reactor

The Grizz
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM
running each media in a separate reactor not in a bag would be better as there is better contact time with the water column and the tumble affect keep the media from getting clogged up with bacterias

MarkoD
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
But isn't tumble bad for Gfo and carbon? I was told it would just grind it into powder if it tumbles

The Grizz
08-08-2013, 07:54 PM
It all still needs a slight tumble, not a lot just a very little bit. Just enough so you can see it barely moving

Stay clear..... this Bear bites off limbs!!

ChefFish
08-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Its not that they are tumbling, its how hard they are tumbling. With gfo you only want the top to be moving a bit. With Carbon you can tumble it a little more. With Biopellets you can tumble it even more. If they are just in a bag you arent getting water flow through all of it, hence your not using the product to its full capability. 2 little fishes make a great and cheap reactor that work great with a mj400. And replacing the media is pretty quick. I can clean both my reactors and pumps and replace media in 10 to 15 mins.

MarkoD
08-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the advice guys

spit.fire
08-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Modded tlf reactor FTW

Glue all the pipes together to the lid, throw the lower screen out and voila, an easy to clean reactor that never clogs

I'm running 75ml of bio pellets in one and they tumble perfectly