PDA

View Full Version : FREE - Sailfin Tang for pickup at YYC airport

SanguinesDream
08-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Regardless of having made it through both US and Cdn customs, screening for Air Canada would not allow a beautiful Sailfin Tang through with more than 100 ml of water.

So, I'd rather this gorgeous fish live than "slip it in with enough water to keep it wet and buy a bottle of water after through security to refill the bag" <-------Srsly.

It is at Air Canada in the main terminal at departures at oversized luggage. It is stressed out but it is a beautiful ORA Sailfin Tang. But it must be picked up today as it was packaged on Saturday and due to several delays over two days, it only has another day of oxygen.

I am already off to my final destination and Air Canada will hold it until someone picks it up. Thank you.

Nuttyreefer
08-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Where in bc

icy.bing
08-05-2013, 08:20 PM
yyc is in calgery

Hwyman
08-05-2013, 08:43 PM
I will head over and pick it up.

Hwyman
08-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I will head over and pick it up.

Or.....I will be second in line .... Better to have too many people try than to lose a nice fish!!!

Borderjumper
08-05-2013, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=SanguinesDream;835985]Regardless of having made it through both US and Cdn customs, screening for Air Canada would not allow a beautiful Sailfin Tang through with more than 100 ml of water.

So, I'd rather this gorgeous fish live than "slip it in with enough water to keep it wet and buy a bottle of water after through security to refill the bag" <-------Srsly.

It is at Air Canada in the main terminal at departures at oversized luggage. It is stressed out but it is a beautiful ORA Sailfin Tang. But it must be picked up today as it was packaged on Saturday and due to several delays over two days, it only has another day of oxygen.

I am already off to my final destination and Air Canada will hold it until someone picks it up. Thank you.[/QUOTE

Did you not check Air Canada's screening requirements first before trying this??

Baker
08-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Or no one gets it, nobody knows where it is.

Baker
08-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Well I have to say that this was a lesson learnt. I saw this at about 2:15 this afternoon and thought 'why not? Save a fish, help a fellow Canreefer. Not doing much' got down there at 3:15 and no one knows where the fish is. Not air canada, not oversized baggage, no one! So after 45 minutes, I find that this person took it with them. Or thats what I was told. I have to admit, im Pi553D! Waisted almost 2 hours, almost 1/4 tank of gas and 8 f'in $ for parking.....

icy.bing
08-05-2013, 10:29 PM
hey Baker, it is good to know that there are people out there willing to help. At least on the bright side, you earned my salute. =D

Borderjumper
08-05-2013, 10:32 PM
hats off to you Baker!! You did your best.

IMO this fish was doomed the minute it was purchased:twised:

Baker
08-05-2013, 10:32 PM
hey Baker, it is good to know that there are people out there willing to help. At least on the bright side, you earned my salute. =D

Thank you, I actually met Hwyman there so theres two of us. Nice meeting you by the way.

Hwyman
08-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Thank you, I actually met Hwyman there so theres two of us. Nice meeting you by the way.

Hey, great meeting you too! Too bad it was a wild fish chase! Cheers!

SanguinesDream
08-06-2013, 04:27 AM
I am just reading this now and I'm not a happy camper.

YES, I looked into ALL requirements, had ALL the paperwork, went down 3 hours early for a domestic flight and was bounced around 5 different times from security to oversized cargo to UPS to Air Canada again only to have security change their minds.....and to miss my flight to boot.

And then to be accused of being neglectful and dishonest?!? Nice end to a really sh!tty day. Why the hell would I go and list a $70 tang for free if I had the ability to take it myself? Maybe give a fellow Canreefer the benefit of the doubt before accusing them when they are trying to offer something for free. Not really encouraging of goodwill.

reefwars
08-06-2013, 04:40 AM
screening for Air Canada would not allow a beautiful Sailfin Tang through with more than 100 ml of water.

YES, I looked into ALL requirements

Obviously didnt ....

Coral Hoarder
08-06-2013, 04:48 AM
so what hapend to the poor thing ?

hat off to the people who went and looked

Nuttyreefer
08-06-2013, 04:49 AM
He did say for free

Hwyman
08-06-2013, 05:08 AM
Ok, seems to be that tensions are hot....Baker and I did go down, Air Canada are a bunch of disorganized people.....I am SURELY NOT accusing SanguinesDream of any neglect, or any expressing any disrespect at all. I was close to the airport, have plenty of room for more fish, and, heck, he DID SAY FREE!!! We all have been at the mercy of the screening people at airports and, yes, it was "free". For all that is sane and normal, give your collective heads a shake....we all care for our fish and do not intentionally cause then harm! He could have easily went on his way without posting, and nobody would have given a damn.......at least he was trying to be responsible.
Thanks for the effort, I just want to know if the fish survived the journey?
Regards,
Hwyman

SanguinesDream
08-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Obviously didnt ....

Yeah, obviously I did! Have you ever tried showing the legislation to a group of security officers, their supervisors and have them call in to their supervisor because they still don't understand?

At what point do you continue to plead your case while missing your flight or decide to save the fish instead and open yourself up to the judgEment of the board members?!?

But hey, you were all there and saw everything with your own eyes and know everything about the legislations of the two countries in order to judge, right???? Well hell, the next time I consider making any aquaria purchase I will be sure to post on this board for y'all's approval or will that be the wrong decision as well?

Bryan_k47
08-06-2013, 06:33 AM
You messed up? Air Canada messed up ?
At the end of the day I don't see why anyone on here gives a **** lol
You tried, a couple Calgary guys tried
Ended in a fail.
Life goes on lol

JTang
08-06-2013, 02:54 PM
So what happened to the Tang at the end???

reefwars
08-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah, obviously I did! Have you ever tried showing the legislation to a group of security officers, their supervisors and have them call in to their supervisor because they still don't understand?

At what point do you continue to plead your case while missing your flight or decide to save the fish instead and open yourself up to the judgEment of the board members?!?

But hey, you were all there and saw everything with your own eyes and know everything about the legislations of the two countries in order to judge, right???? Well hell, the next time I consider making any aquaria purchase I will be sure to post on this board for y'all's approval or will that be the wrong decision as well?

No obviously you didnt...

Sorry but no sympathy here what did you expect, them to know your situation?

We warned you about how hard it is to get foreign animals into canada, ou tried anyways
The airlines rules are posted publically!! What did you expect

I know you tried to do the right thing and i respect that but you OBVIOUSLY didnt look at all the requirements or this thread wouldnt exist would it?

Midway
08-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Well, i don't know if dogs would be different than fish but a guy that i know brought a pit bull into the country from Mexico, yes from Mexico, they did not give him any heck at all !! The only thing that it was required for this guy to bring in this dog was vaccination papers. This papers were all in spanish to start with, maybe the officer knew how go read spanish but he just said pay $50 here and welcome to Canada. Go figure!!!

No obviously you didnt...

Sorry but no sympathy here what did you expect, them to know your situation?

We warned you about how hard it is to get foreign animals into canada, ou tried anyways
The airlines rules are posted publically!! What did you expect

I know you tried to do the right thing and i respect that but you OBVIOUSLY didnt look at all the requirements or this thread wouldnt exist would it?

reefwars
08-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Well, i don't know if dogs would be different than fish but a guy that i know brought a pit bull into the country from Mexico, yes from Mexico, they did not give him any heck at all !! The only thing that it was required for this guy to bring in this dog was vaccination papers. This papers were all in spanish to start with, maybe the officer knew how go read spanish but he just said pay $50 here and welcome to Canada. Go figure!!!

Its not the same i bought a dog from germany only thing i needed was to pay taxes, they know a dog and its breed is easily found.

Plus dogs domt come in liquid

reefwars
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
This had nothing to do with paperwork or lineage its a matter of country security the rule of travelling with liquids is a well know rule:)

SanguinesDream
08-06-2013, 07:37 PM
This had nothing to do with paperwork or lineage its a matter of country security the rule of travelling with liquids is a well know rule:)

So exactly what is this well known rule? You seem to know everything so please impart you wealth of knowledge to us reefing peons.

Borderjumper
08-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Ever since 9-11 only 100ml of liquid is allowed in carry on luggage.

reefwars
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Exactly:)

No offense but you would have knowm this going into the states as well so its not something that was sprung on you last minute;)

Listen we need more reefers like your self im not attacking you you had good intentions but you thought you had every angle covered and realized you didnt.

You could have taken the proper aproach through your lfs but you decided hey since im down there ill bring one back with me, all the paperwork in the world from ora farms wont guarantee it gets through the border or arrive on time, a quick google search on bringing fidj on a pasenger airline will land you many horror stories of people who did the exact ssme as you.

Sorry if your ****ed but you honestly thought there was no risk? Even a slight risk at all shoild have flagged something in your mind that said is it worth it especially when involving animals

.well was it?

How is the fish?

SanguinesDream
08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
We warned you about how hard it is to get foreign animals into canada, ou tried anyways?

"WE"??? Who is this ubiquitous "we"? I don't see a reply from YOU regarding the ORA/CITES thread anywhere. Interesting.

Thankfully all of my other beautiful purchases with their proper CITES permits are doing fantastic! I found all of the retailers were more than willing to do the paperwork and go above and beyond to accommodate the requirements.

I've called the number of the employee from Air Canada that took the tang and she had posted an ad on the internal Air Canada bulletin board and another employee had a saltwater tank and came and picked it up by the end of shift. it is alive and doing well.

I'm happy the tang is alive but frustrated that she didn't listen to me to wait for a Canreefer, but then again better someone take it than the possibility that no one would show up.

SanguinesDream
08-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Wrong.

As quoted verbatim from the bag supplied by Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

Liquids, aerosols and gels

100 ml containers or less

One 1 L bag per passenger
Bag must be clear, closed
and resealable

And this is where the confusion amongst the CATSA employees ensued as passengers are allowed up to ten 100ml and the bag states one 1 L bag per passenger. So, does that mean only 100 ml or 10 x 100 ml equalling the 1 L bag per passenger? The bag itself is confusing argued the security staff and hence the back and forth.

SanguinesDream
08-06-2013, 08:46 PM
You could have taken the proper aproach through your lfs

And therein lies the crux of your argument. The fear-mongering that goes on if anyone thinks outside of the "purchase from your CANADIAN retailers".

There are some of us that do not have the luxury of living in a large centre and are 8 or more hours away from the nearest retailer. This gets to be quite an elitist hobby with those who have the funds and resource availability to look down their noses at those who accept the inherit risks that come with pursuing reefing away from centralized retailers.

Regardless of what retailer I deal with, there are risks. Just ask my bank account of how many DOA orders I receive due to delays in shipping. So then does that preclude me and other remote reefers from enjoying the hobby?

Or maybe we think outside of the box and try things for ourselves.

Borderjumper
08-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Seems pretty black and white to me.

REMINDER TO TRAVELLERS:
Security measures for liquids, gels and aerosols
PERMITTED through pre-board security screening:
q Liquids, gels or aerosols in containers 100 ml / 100 g (3.4 oz.) or less.
These containers MUST be placed in one (1) clear, closed and re-sealable plastic bag no larger than 1 litre (1 quart).
ONE BAG PER PERSON.
Liquids, gels and aerosols include, but are not limited to, hand lotions, cleansers, moisturizers, suntan lotions, antibacterial gels, contact lens solution, shaving cream, perfume and cologne.
NOT PERMITTED through pre-board security screening:
q Unsealed, open or opaque plastic bags of any size q Liquids, gels or aerosols in containers with liquids, gels or aerosols in containers of any size. larger than 100 ml / 100 g (3.4 oz.).
EXEMPT from restrictions: Passengers must declare all such items to security screening authorities. Additional screening could be required.
q Baby formula, baby food and milk or juice if travelling with children two (2) years of age and under.

SanguinesDream
08-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Seems pretty black and white to me.

REMINDER TO TRAVELLERS:
Security measures for liquids, gels and aerosols
PERMITTED through pre-board security screening:
q Liquids, gels or aerosols in containers 100 ml / 100 g (3.4 oz.) or less.
These containers MUST be placed in one (1) clear, closed and re-sealable plastic bag no larger than 1 litre (1 quart).
ONE BAG PER PERSON.
Liquids, gels and aerosols include, but are not limited to, hand lotions, cleansers, moisturizers, suntan lotions, antibacterial gels, contact lens solution, shaving cream, perfume and cologne.
NOT PERMITTED through pre-board security screening:
q Unsealed, open or opaque plastic bags of any size q Liquids, gels or aerosols in containers with liquids, gels or aerosols in containers of any size. larger than 100 ml / 100 g (3.4 oz.).
EXEMPT from restrictions: Passengers must declare all such items to security screening authorities. Additional screening could be required.
q Baby formula, baby food and milk or juice if travelling with children two (2) years of age and under.

Then please feel free to consult with the CATSA authority because when I called them prior to my travel, they said that as long as I had the proper importation permits, they are considered carry on and would be separately screened.

And that is exactly what the supervisor said when I arrived at security early to get pre screened, hence her suggestion and the trip to the UPS store. And then they changed their minds twice after that again.

Obviously you can train the CATSA staff on the CATSA legislation because they cannot read it as clearly black and white as you can.

reefwars
08-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Well this turned out just the way i expected it would and like i said no sympathy when animals are involved i hope you learned your lesson .. .but i doubt you did...
:tsk:

Gl

acepumping
08-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Im actually tired of seen this at the top of the forum page.. can we lock this somehow??

Midway
08-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Its not the same i bought a dog from germany only thing i needed was to pay taxes, they know a dog and its breed is easily found.

Plus dogs domt come in liquid

Well does it count they bring "liquid" inside....:mrgreen:

acepumping
08-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Fine. One last post..
The morons at air canada shoulda just looked at the bag and saw the fu"*@#$ fish breathing to know it was just water. If your paper work was good, then it would be ok

Whiston
08-06-2013, 10:17 PM
I think we're missing the bigger picture here people.

The real question is, what the heck am I going to do with 300ml of toothpaste to endanger national security?!?

And why is 300ml of toothpaste forbidden, but 10 separate tubes of 100ml are A-Okay?

Aquattro
08-06-2013, 10:45 PM
can we lock this somehow??

Hey, I can do that!!