PDA

View Full Version : Water change caution

Aquattro
06-20-2004, 08:32 AM
I almost did a 25 gallon water change tonight, not thinking about the temp difference. My tank is climbing to 86+, and the make up water sits at 79. Adding a significant amount of water that different in temp could cause some coral problems, so make sure you double check your new water during these warmer days of summer. :biggrin:

Chad
06-20-2004, 04:33 PM
I almost did that :) .. I have now installed a fan to come on with my lights so it keeps my tank below the 80 mark.. hovers at about 79.. I think?

Acro
06-20-2004, 04:55 PM
By the sounds of it that chiller doesn't work to good sitting in the box. :confused:

props
06-20-2004, 09:45 PM
yeah maybe you should put it up on the buy n sell forum :biggrin:

StirCrazy
06-20-2004, 10:26 PM
By the sounds of it that chiller doesn't work to good sitting in the box. :confused:

but it isn't breaking down that way :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
06-21-2004, 01:21 AM

It almost sounds like you're saying I need to take it out of the box? I've never used a chiller before, so hey, who knew?? I'll take it out of the box to see if it works any better :razz:

Seriously, as soon as I get the 40g out of the room, I can hook up the chiller. I'm told the corals in the 40 will be picked up this wek, so until then, I use lots of fans.

smokinreefer
06-21-2004, 07:28 AM
i dont know how much heat will be a factor for my new tank at my new house...
it'll probably only be a 45g with a 250W DE MH suspended above the tank.

but my main concern is that i will no longer be in the basement, so the house itself will probably be hotter...

so i think i'll get an aircon unit.
but i wonder if the benefits will be more so for me, than the tank. :lol:

havent really had heat issues with my 180 in the basement before.

but i can tell you, doing renos in this crazy vancouver heat is insane.
i don't think ive ever drank soo much gatorade in my life.

sumpfinfishe
06-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Hey Brad
Like Jamie said, I can't believe it's still in the box :razz:
Man if I had a new chiller and couldn't hook it up right away I would at least get the kids to take a hot bath and try it out for fun :mrgreen:

Aquattro
06-27-2004, 04:08 AM
So I took everyone's advice and took the chiller out of the box and plugged it in. I even ran water thru it!! Now to watch it chill the tank.

sleeman
06-27-2004, 05:34 PM
I did this about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure what the differnece between the tank and the change water was as i don't have a therometer on the garbage can and I cant read the temp setting on the heater. However it was enough to take out 2 peppermint shrimp. corals and everything else are fine. Funny that both cleaners are fine. they actually got a great meal out of it. Just like you have read, it took about 3-5 days for the shrimp to die from the temp stress. Emberassing, dissapointing, but hopefully someone will read this and it will save them.

Cheers,

Al