PDA

View Full Version : BK Skimmer SM VS CONE

apexifd
08-03-2013, 12:09 AM
I am planning to take the plunge and get the king of all skimmer, Mercedes of all skimmer etc etc...

Now the question is which one?? The test and proven SM200 or the new double cone 200.

I haven't been able to find much review on the double cone skimmer yet, nor know anyone with one. So I have no idea how they will perform.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

apexifd
08-04-2013, 04:56 AM
Anyone?

Skimmerking
08-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I know Apex that the 250 is a super powerful skimmer that if you don't have the bioload its not going to work. I was thinking of getting the SM 200 too and to me its like that mid range high price skimmer. I would say that the 200 apex would be that choice and since its proven I say GO FOR IT

apexifd
08-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Any thought on the bk double cone?

Scythanith
08-05-2013, 02:58 AM
I just bought the double cone 250 with a speedy 3. From what I could scratch up from the interweb the cone shape is an evolution in skimmer body shape. It's supposed to allow the bubbles a smoother path to the skimmate cup. Thus preventing them from popping prematurely. Skimmer King is correct when he says get the appropriate model. Other brands you can get something made for a 200-300g tank and run it on a 75g. The BK's are pretty needy and are sized accordingly. Get something too big and you won't get good skimmate production in the neck.

Just my .02

apexifd
08-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Hmm. bit different that what I believe. I have been a believer of over skimming, and fitting the biggest possible skimmer in the sump.

Madreefer
08-05-2013, 03:20 AM
Well your thinking is correct until BubbleKing is mentioned. These skimmers are made to be pushed to the limits. You won't be disappointed in your decision if you choose a Royal Exclusive product.

apexifd
08-05-2013, 03:52 AM
Well your thinking is correct until BubbleKing is mentioned. These skimmers are made to be pushed to the limits. You won't be disappointed in your decision if you choose a Royal Exclusive product.

wow.. I gotta get me one of these bad boys. Now, who want to buy my skimz sm251?