PDA

View Full Version : Vortech Mp40?

Slyguy00
08-01-2013, 11:05 PM
So I have a 50 gallon bowfront tank with two fluval sea 740 kph power heads. Although they do create more than enough current in the tank its not very controllable and is pretty constant. My question is this, what are the best power heads on the market and why? all my research leads to the vortech mp40 or mp10. If that is the general consensus would i need a mp40 for a 50 gallon? any input would be appreciated.

Din Gior
08-01-2013, 11:39 PM
I'd say two Jebao WP25. mp40 is too noisy and too much flow for 50 gallon. Only advantage of the mp10 is wireless sync between powerheads.

Slyguy00
08-01-2013, 11:42 PM
what are the pros and cons to the Jebao WP25 compared to the mp 10 then? I deff dont want a noisy power head. I have heard the jebao is a "knock-off" tunze powerhead? thanks for your input

tang daddy
08-01-2013, 11:44 PM
The vortechs is a love hate powerhead, some people love them some hate them....

The pros of vortech: pump sits outside so less heat in your tank, less obstruction of view inside your tank because only the impeller sits inside, wide flow

The cons: since the pump sits outside it makes more noise, mp10 has a whine to it, mp40 more like a electric scooter. Some people go crazy from the noise for me I don't hear them.

Do you need a $500 powerhead? That's up to how much you can justify spending. I love mine and don't regret buying it, because of all listed above it suits my needs. I had tunze before and for me less mechanical in the tank is better.

If the powerhead is fine in your tank now why change it? I am running sps so I need more flow, there are cheaper controllable powerheads on the market now like the jebao wp40 and they're money we'll spent, I am even considering upgrading my mp10 for one....

Slyguy00
08-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Once again tang thanks for your input. much appreciated.

mike31154
08-02-2013, 12:44 AM
I have 3 MP40WES on my 77 gal and am very pleased. Purchased the 1st one new years ago, it was a Gen 1 which I've updated to latest config. The other two I got used over the next several years to mitigate the hit in the wallet. The sound could be an issue, but doesn't bother me. My tank is not in the bedroom & there are plenty of other ambient sounds that make the VorTechs running blend into the background.

If you go on the EcoTech web site you can download the manuals & instructions for all their pumps. They also have instructional videos. This will give you a good idea of what multiple wireless VorTechs are capable of in your tank. I don't think there's anything out there yet that provides the flow flexibility & features of the VorTechs. Sure the Jebaos are much less costly, but you'll get next to no service & not sure there's a web site where you can check out the instructions.

Slyguy00
08-02-2013, 12:45 AM
thanks appreciate the info!

asylumdown
08-02-2013, 06:12 AM
I've got 2 MP60s and 2 MP40s on a 6'x3' tank. The MP60s are extreme overkill and are turned down to the max speed of what is probably close to an MP40, so I definitely could have done this tank with 4 MP40s. So in your case I would agree than an MP40 might be a bit of overkill. However, the best part about those pumps is that if it is overkill, you can turn their max speed down, and increase it as coral growth begins to impede water movement, so if I were you I'd be tempted to still go with an MP40 only because of it's versatility in future applications.

Never tried the Jaebo or the Tunze. Always been interested to do it though, maybe on a future tank. I just really appreciate the low in tank profile of the vortech's.

Also, as for the Jaebo's being knockoffs - who cares. If they do the same thing for less money, they're a clear winner.

Wheelman76
08-02-2013, 06:22 AM
+1 on turning the mp40's down ,thats the nice thing about them. I have two in my 90 gallon and never hear them , and my tank is in my bedroom ,8 feet from my pillow lol. They only run at about 40% mind you. Everyone seems to be happy with the Jebao pumps , and I may try one , but I love the look of no wires in the tank.

gregzz4
08-02-2013, 06:26 AM
My 5 cents

An MP40 is a lot of pump for a 50g
I use 2 x MP10s in my 75g, with no other pumps besides my return

I've heard others' MP10s and MP40s and decided the 10s were for me as the 40s are too loud for my liking, even listening to the ones in the LFS that were both new and older

Maybe a pair of 10s would better suit your needs if you went wireless

asylumdown
08-02-2013, 06:32 AM
My 5 cents

Maybe a pair of 10s would better suit your needs if you went wireless

True that, the advantages to placing two and syncing them up together to create a truly dynamic flow pattern cannot be underestimated.

Slyguy00
08-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys. The info def helps!! I think i am gonna go with two mp10s. Although i do like the idea of the mp40 and just turning it down until i need more flow or get a bigger tank. Once again thanks

Scythanith
08-02-2013, 02:16 PM
My MP40WES's are extremely quiet when they aren't ramped up above ~90%. I have two of them on the battery backup and have had zero issues with them. I clean (soak in vinegar) the wet sides maybe once every 4-6 months.

Reef Supplies
08-02-2013, 02:37 PM
My MP40WES's are extremely quiet when they aren't ramped up above ~90%. I have two of them on the battery backup and have had zero issues with them. I clean (soak in vinegar) the wet sides maybe once every 4-6 months.

Yupp +1! The "trick" to keeping these pumps quiet and running is to clean the wet-sides.

Slyguy00: you may also want too look at the new Tunze 6095 wide flow pumps.

Ray

JDigital
08-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I've got a 60G 40x18x20 tank.

I'm running 2 MP10's. One on either end of the tank in anti-sync mode. I get really good random flow patterns, very few dead spots, and I can vary the flow depending on the coral requirements.

1 MP10 likely won't be enough for a 50G tank unless you are going for a full soft coral tank. If you want SPS you will need more flow IMO.

I don't think an MP40 is overkill for a 50G tank as it puts out just a bit more flow than 2 MP10's (both on 100%), but the benefit of syncing 2 10's together would be better than just having 1 MP40 IMO.

Coralgurl
08-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I had an MP10 on my 55 gl tank and it wasn't enough. I added 2 Koralia's and an MP40 and ran it at about 1/2. The Koralia's were for surface agitation, the MP's for the flow. The tank did awesome - corals grew like crazy. Tank was 48"x12"x18".

As far as the noise, doesn't bother me, my 180 is noisy - period (fans on lights, overflow, skimmer, pumps and phs....).

fishytime
08-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Only down sides to MP40s are the price, the wetsides( a little fragile) and you can't point them. I've done a mix of vortecs and tunzes on my tank....