PDA

View Full Version : heatsink

mkj
08-01-2013, 08:40 AM
anyone know where to buy heatsink in Vancouver? Around 24" long x 4-6" wide

reef-keeper
08-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Any electronic supply store will carry an array of heat sink. Should mention that I don't mean visions or best buy I mean MRO electronics.

daplatapus
08-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Have you tried Lee's electronics? 4522 Main Street

Seth81
08-01-2013, 02:48 PM
To find them that big I think your going to have to purchase online. I got mine from HeatSinkUSA , best price I could find, and they have plenty of patterns that you can have made to any length. They also publish heat dissipation numbers, so if you are a real nerd like me you can calculate the expected temperature of your herat sink : )

mkj
08-01-2013, 06:22 PM
thanks all for replies. I have been looking online, the shipping cost is as much as the heatsink even at heatsinkusa, so I will look into a few electronic supply stores first. thanks again.

Seth81
08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah I know shipping is brutal, Good luck. If you find anything this side of the boarder for cheaper let me know, I have a DIY LED project for my fuge :biggrin:

Vancouver Reefer
08-02-2013, 01:46 AM
What is the heatsink to be used for?

If its for LED's you can use 1" Aluminum U channel. I have a 4 ft 72 LED array and at 100% my channels are only 120F with no fans.

I got my U channels in 8ft sections from Princess Auto.

You could always place them side by side with heatsink compound on the mating edges. That way you can make the size you want and you will create cooling fins on the backside of the heatsink. Its super light too.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8540145594_6663453ccf_b.jpg

mkj
08-02-2013, 01:58 AM
that looks like a nice setup Vancouver Reefer. I like how you can adjust the angles of your LEDs. Are those 3 watt LEDs? I defiantly will think about using U-channels for the heatsink if I cant find the 6" square type. Do you have anything protecting your drivers from potential water splash? I think those drivers are rated at 67 so I'm sure its ok, but I would be scared having them exposed to the water like that. Thanks for the info:cheer2:

Vancouver Reefer
08-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Thanks,

My heatsink channels are actually free swinging so that when i open the canopy, my LED's stay pointing downwards, thus preventing blinding me, the free swinging also keeps the light in the tank for cleaning etc.

The drivers are rated to working conditions of 95% humidity and my canopy fans run 24/7 and i have zero condensation. They are also fully sealed units too. If in the future i find i have problems with them i will have some glass tops cut to fit.

My LED's are 3 watt and i ordered the 72 LED kit from aquastyle online. They have been bullet proof so far and i have no problem recommending them.