PDA

View Full Version : Lost fish!

Graham_f
07-31-2013, 10:20 PM
How efficient are your clean up crews? Say for example... A 2.5" fish died. How long would it take them to erase the "evidence"?

I ask because this is the second fish I have lost. The could be alive I guess but I haven't seen the one in at least three months and my tank doesn't have the kind of caves to support hiding like that.
I "lost" the second fish yesterday. It was chilling and had what is assume to be a happy look on it's face.but today after work there is no sign if it.
I'm confused
I assume the are dead but I can't find bodies.
My clean up crew consists of:
20-30 tiny hermits,
two mexi turbo snails,
Two emerald crabs a few good sized bristle worms.

Any thoughts?

Misses.ReefWars
07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
have you checked your sump? overflow box?

jorjef
07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Depends on the fish but shouldn't be longer than 2-3 days ...if your CUC (20-30 tiny hermits) aren't roaming around like usual they probably found him and are doing their job.

Graham_f
07-31-2013, 10:59 PM
ya, ive checked everywhere. he Cant get in sump or overflow, they are screened in.
there does seem to be a few less hermits around. i just thought it would take longer, thats all.

Dearth
07-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Depending on size and type of CuC how well fed they are and size of fish that died it could be gone in as little as a couple of hrs or in as long as a week.

Alberta-newb
08-01-2013, 04:11 AM
Perhaps you have a hitchhiker crab with your live rock? I had several smaller fish vanish overnight in my 120. Eventually I found a fairly big (2"+) xanthid crab hiding in some rock. Haven't lost a fish since I killed the crab.

Francis

Graham_f
08-01-2013, 04:20 AM
ha, no crabs... ive been thoroughly checked out every rock before putting them in. And have used bait and traps just to be sure. No evidence of anything.

reefwars
08-01-2013, 04:59 AM
Could be mantis as well they go longgggg time without being noticed, good sign is your crabs beimg knocked off.

Average cuc will get rid of evidence very quick if natural death occured

Coralgurl
08-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Are you sure it didn't jump? I found a pretty dried up royal gramma under the back of a tank when I sold it. Was missing for months before I bought a replacement.