PDA

View Full Version : opinion

fishguyxd
06-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Well me again I still have not bought a tank yet but have it norrowed down to a 75 gal or a 72 gal bow (all-glass brand) or i really like a oceanic brand tanks most likely I will get on overflow with it. one place said they will do the overflow install. As for a sump I have not found a web site on building them and operation (any suggestions ) should I go with one that uses bio ball or not and why? or there is a prefab sump I seen by oceanic, that can use balls in it or with use mud or etc. system As for the skimmer it would have to be installed beside and drilled into the sump this the norm?(because of a room issue I am looking at a berlin brand
Or there is a person on this forum that has offered to help thanks, anyone want to comment on this type of setup. I may go fish only but really like the reef idea but want to have some LR. I have been told that the reef/coral etc is a lot of work and I have to have alot of time yes/no?
Have other bought form a place called saltwater fantasy (sells just fish)?

mr_alberta
06-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Hi there. For some really good info on sumps, check out http://www.melevsreef.com/. He has a lists of all the sumps he has built and has a brief description of each. Just take a gander there and see what fits in the space you have.

BioBalls are an "old school" method of biological filtration. I have never used this method, so I can't really comment first hand as to it effectiveness, but currently the trend is live rock and sand as your major source of filtration. Protien skimmers can be run inline with sumps and many people do it.

Reefs are trickier than fish only tanks as corals and such are must less tolerant to poor water conditions. Therefore a lot of reefers spend a lot of time tweaking their water and making sure the conditions are up to snuff. Of course, with reefs, there is added cost in lighting and pumps, ect.

Though I've never shopped at Salt Water Fantasies, I've heard very mixed things about them. Ususally he has very cheap prices and sometimes hard to find fish, but usually there are not the best of specimines (or so I've heard). If you have any more questions, just ask.

Cheers.

Beverly
06-19-2004, 02:55 AM
Have other bought form a place called saltwater fantasy (sells just fish)?

Have bought several fish from SWF over the years. Good prices, fish are as good as any lfs, imo. After recent fish getting sick after shortly purchase from other lfs, I think I'm going back there a few times for a look.

Cap'n
06-19-2004, 04:02 AM
I may go fish only but really like the reef idea but want to have some LR.

You've almost answered your own question here. Start with LR, it works and looks too good not to have. Wait until everything stabilizes and you have thoroughly tested your patience. Add a few hardy fish. Test your patience again. Add a few easy corals. Exercise your patience some more.

Basically just progress towards more complex and fussy inhabitants until you have the tank you want.

The only thing that concerns me with this approach is lighting. I have heard a lot of people complain that they should have started with more powerful lamps from the beginning. I really have no experience with high-power lighting so will leave that to others to advise.

fishguyxd
06-19-2004, 04:38 AM
:arrow: Thanks so far to those who gave info ,I 've learned something already .
also if I go fish do I need a skimmer or is it only when having LR? also regarding the skimmer in starting a new system what type or brand
if anyone has opinions please post. :biggrin:

EmilyB
06-19-2004, 04:56 AM
As far as fish go, SWF was always good to me.

I have backed off from them mainly because of the unethical inventory.

Skimming is even more important in a FO tank.

Beverly
06-19-2004, 02:32 PM

What unethical inventory do you mean?

EmilyB
06-19-2004, 07:29 PM

What unethical inventory do you mean?

One thing was basically the prod to "get your orders in for those wild caught seahorses because he won't be able to get them soon" thing. :sad:

And when I review his inventory on a regular basis, I often see things there that simply shouldn't be imo.

But I suppose he doesn't get out much... :confused:

Beverly
06-19-2004, 08:09 PM
One thing was basically the prod to "get your orders in for those wild caught seahorses because he won't be able to get them soon" thing. :sad:

Ray's not the only one carrying WC SHs from time to time in Edmonton. I've seen them in Big Al's, in Sherwood Park, PJ's - I think. AI hasn't carried them for months now, thank goodness. But WC SHs are definitely in many of the major stores up here :frown: :evil: I also see pipefish in lfs, too, which are just as bad, imo, though I have never kept them :frown:

I don't get out to many of the lfs like I used to, but whenever in the neighbourhood I check out what's available. ALL the lfs carry something I don't agree with, so what are ya gonna do :eek: :confused:

mr_alberta
06-21-2004, 06:26 AM
also regarding the skimmer in starting a new system what type or brand if anyone has opinions please post. :biggrin:

Personally I love my EuroReef, but there are many many many other great brands out there such as Aqua C, Precision Marine, and many others. Of course, there is always the custom skimmer route which is a fair bit cheaper when it comes to bigger skimmers. A couple of skimmers that I've never used, but heard many BAD things about are the Prism, SeaClone, and Skilter.

Just be prepared to spend a good wad of cash if you go with the brand name store bought ones. Also, keep an eye out on the various reef forums for used equipment. Many good deals can be had buying used stuff.