PDA

View Full Version : Adding RBTA to tank with corals

MarkoD
07-25-2013, 05:52 PM
I have a nice large RBTA from my old tank. Its currently in my refugium because im afraid if i put it in the display that it'll move around and kill all my corals. Most of my corals are encrusted to the rocks and cant be moved.

Are there any tricks to adding an anemone to a tank that already has lots of coral in it?

Stinktooth
07-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Not helpful advice but I would put it in and cross your fingers.

Coralgurl
07-25-2013, 06:39 PM
My RBTA is absolutely HUGE. I don't have as many corals as you do but I do have some. When I moved it into my larger tank, I tried to replicate its location, lighting and flow to the same as the tank it came out of. Didn't work. It stayed for a few days, then started to wander. from the rocks, to the sand, to the front glass, back to rocks, back of tank and ended up exactly where it started. All this within a week or so. I kept an eye on it around powerheads, but it seemed to move with its foot remaining attached, never saw it floating around.

I don't think there's any way to predict what a nem will do until he decides to do it. Yes, mine stung corals along the way, but nothing died. While he was on the move, he did not fully inflate. Now that he's happy, he's probably close to a foot + wide with tentacles and still growing!

On another note, this same nem was happy in one location in my other tank for the longest time. Then it decided it needed a new spot and was on the move, 6 months or so later. So what may be good today, not so much later.

btymens
07-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Not helpful advice but I would put it in and cross your fingers.

What I did with mine was I added a piece of LR with the bta while it was separate from my display tank. Then after it attached to the LR I moved it to my display tank and placed it where I thought he would be happy and 2 years later he is still attached to that piece of LR and is still in the same spot where I left him. Maybe I lucked out but it might work for you

Stinktooth
07-25-2013, 07:07 PM
What I did with mine was I added a piece of LR with the bta while it was separate from my display tank. Then after it attached to the LR I moved it to my display tank and placed it where I thought he would be happy and 2 years later he is still attached to that piece of LR and is still in the same spot where I left him. Maybe I lucked out but it might work for you

Did the same thing with my rbta and the first night it moved off the rock it was on and went to the other side of the tank. Sometimes it is just luck but in the end it will go where it wants to.

fishytime
07-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Nems is evil! :twised:.... The only tank of mine that a nem will make it into is the porcelain one in the bathroom:mrgreen:

JDigital
07-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Nems is evil! :twised:.... The only tank of mine that a nem will make it into is the porcelain one in the bathroom:mrgreen:

You had 4-5 in your 110G.. :lol:

kien
07-25-2013, 08:09 PM
The trick is to place your 'nem in the perfect spot for him in your tank. A spot that has the perfect flow, the perfect amount of light and lots of room for tentacle sweeping.

hfp75
07-25-2013, 08:28 PM
My rbta has longer slender arms and not short bubbly ones... But he isn't sticky and bothers nothing. It has moved a few times and generally stays or comes back to its current location.

Mine is fine with other corals....

kien
07-25-2013, 08:51 PM
My rbta has longer slender arms and not short bubbly ones... But he isn't sticky and bothers nothing. It has moved a few times and generally stays or comes back to its current location.

Mine is fine with other corals....

That's interesting. Mine is sticky and will destroy anything it touches, save for the clowns that it hosts.

pinkreef
07-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Get it to attach to a rock in your fuge and then move them both
into the display together. mine dont change rocks when i do it
that way.