PDA

View Full Version : UV Glass

mr_alberta
06-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Hey, sorry to take you guys away from all the drama of the other thread :razz: but can someone tell me if there is a way to tell if glass can block UV by looking at it? I've heard many conflicting things where some say all glass blocks UV and others say that only tempered glass or coated glass blocks UV. Just wondering if UV glass has a slight tint or color to it?

Thanks.

Scavenger
06-18-2004, 10:59 PM
I could be way off, but as far as I know only some polarized glass can block UV rays.

Zerandise
06-18-2004, 10:59 PM
not sure. i do know that all glass doesnt block UV tho or you could not get a sunburn in a car with the window up :)

mr_alberta
06-18-2004, 11:17 PM
not sure. i do know that all glass doesnt block UV tho or you could not get a sunburn in a car with the window up :)

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. Did you mean to say that all glass DOES block UV or are you saying that windows in cars are coated? I didn't think you could get a tan with the windows rolled up in a car...

Zerandise
06-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Sure ya can :)

Drive down I-5 on a day when its 115 out in california :)

mr_alberta
06-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Ahh, I get you now. Thanks.

johnny rock
06-19-2004, 12:58 AM
well, actually all glass does block some to a certain extent but they make different tints for sunglasses and such. I'm almost certain the glass used for UV shield for DE lights is regular glass but the glass refracts some of the rays. if you kept your arm underneath a SE lamp long enough you'll get burnt,

StirCrazy
06-19-2004, 02:20 PM
any glass will block the harmfull UV rays, the UV A that gives you a suntan is not the UV we are concerned about as much as we are UV B and C. and UV C will be totaly blocked by glass and UV B will be almost totaly blocked from what I have been reading.

Steve

Quagmire
06-19-2004, 03:01 PM
So what You're saying Steve is that if a person was to DIY a set of DE lights useing regular glass they shouldn't have anymore problems with UV than if they bought a factory fixture?
If so I'll DIY my lights. :cool:

StirCrazy
06-19-2004, 05:02 PM
So what You're saying Steve is that if a person was to DIY a set of DE lights useing regular glass they shouldn't have anymore problems with UV than if they bought a factory fixture?
If so I'll DIY my lights. :cool:

pretty much, there were a few threads on RC about this and if I remember corectly they were just using regular glass in the fixtures.

Steve

IslandReefer
06-21-2004, 09:35 AM
I agree that regular glass blocks most of the high energy UV (depending on thickness and clarity) but wouldn't tempered glass be more prudent for this application due to the heat?

StirCrazy
06-21-2004, 10:58 AM
I agree that regular glass blocks most of the high energy UV (depending on thickness and clarity) but wouldn't tempered glass be more prudent for this application due to the heat?

if you suspect it is going to get water splashed directly on it or you might bash it around.. ya

Steve