PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

wreck
07-24-2013, 03:29 AM
My tank is havin a cyano out break, Lot of algae on the glass.

Tank is a 65 gallon with 40 b sump, skimmer is the vertex in100, running 1 hydro koralia 750 , 1 tunze 6025 ,1 tunze 6045. There zshould be ample flow, return pump is a mag7.

I bought a reactor and media and a seachem phosphate test kit, I assumed the phosphates were high, I tested them tonight and they were reading .00-.03.

I have an old API test kit for nitrates but its screwed. I will pick one up tmr.

My question is what could be the culprit of the cyano? Would running carbon help with cyano and algae on the glass?

Any suggestions?

WarDog
07-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Tank still cycling?
Using RO/DI?
Direct sunlight?
How long is your light schedule?

maron6977
07-24-2013, 04:07 AM
My suggestion is water change , water change , water change !
I'm no expert but from my experience , a dirty tank & not enough water changes .

wreck
07-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Tank has been set up jan 2013 It doesn't get direct sunlight, I am using rodi just changed the pre filter and carbon 2 weeks ago, di is still good, membrane is 7 months old.

I was thinking about more water changes

Running 2ai sol blues, blues on from 10-12 am blue and whites on 12 8 and 8 to 10 blues.

Acrowhora
07-24-2013, 04:25 AM
do you have fish in your tank?what's your feeding schedule?test your RO/DI for P04.

Coralgurl
07-24-2013, 04:27 AM
I think you are simply still dealing with new tank syndrome. Live rock bio filtration needs to catch up. Water changes will help, try to remove as much cyano as you can. Watch your feedings and maybe reduce your white light cycle for a bit, 8 hours is a lot!

What do you have for livestock?

wreck
07-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!! I have 2 false Perc's , 2 cromis. 1 long spine urchin. I have been feeding them new era flake every couple days, once a week I feed 1 crude cyclopeeze and 1 cube mysis. Coral I have a candy cane, branchin hammer, frogspawn, toadstool, some zoas and ricorcordeas

Tmr I can post my exact light schedule with percentages, I will deff run the lights on a shorter cycle

kien
07-24-2013, 06:57 AM
You can also try Chemiclean to battle cyano. I used it a few months ago on my tank and I'm still cyano free. *knock on wood*

Magickiwi
07-24-2013, 02:42 PM
The only times I've had issues with cyano were when my PO4 levels were elevated. Like others have said try reducing your white light, check your PO4, and frequent water changes.

michika
07-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I think you are simply still dealing with new tank syndrome. Live rock bio filtration needs to catch up. Water changes will help, try to remove as much cyano as you can. Watch your feedings and maybe reduce your white light cycle for a bit, 8 hours is a lot!

What do you have for livestock?

^^ This.

I too have a tank set up around the same time and am also going through cyano and what you've described so far sounds like the normal bumps in the road of a new tank.