PDA

View Full Version : the incredible shrinking shrimps

steve.bridges
06-18-2004, 05:05 PM
hi folks. :cool:

i have or had 3 shrimps in my 45 gallon reef tank one shrunk to death. two peppermint and one blood shrimp. the remaining peppermint and blood shrimp are shrinking, the blood has shed its skin twice in the last 3 weeks.

i'm wondering if anybody can offer advice? i feed daily, brine shrimp and phytoplankton.(possibly misspelt :mrgreen: )

Aquattro
06-18-2004, 05:07 PM
OK, and just why do you think they are shrinking?? :biggrin:

Shedding (molting) is what happens when they grow, not shrink.

steve.bridges
06-18-2004, 05:22 PM
:evil: They are shrinking, ie getting smaller, esp peppermint

Aquattro
06-18-2004, 05:25 PM
I have never heard of that. Any shrimp I ever had grew very well despite the fact I never directly fed them anything.
Maybe someone else has experience with shrinking shrimps here!!

Beverly
06-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Never had any shrinking shrimp but am wondering what your calcium levels are? If calcium is too low, the shrimp's exoskeleton will not form properly and the shrimp will have a difficult time shedding and perhaps appear to be shrinking. Just a stab in the dark, here with this answer, though.

EmilyB
06-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Yes, mysterious all right. Do they look the same when you put your glasses on ? :razz: j/k

I'll take a stab and wonder about your salinity.

I think you should post all your water parameters, perhaps something will stick out as appearing odd.

Seamonkey
06-25-2004, 03:36 AM
Maybe they are starving. Anyone else competing for the food? In my tank I have to target feed my hermit crab or else he eats any food left over from the fish and eventually any new inhabitants in the crustatean family. (This little creep has been in my reef over 2 years, problem is I kinda like him.) Not good for the new guys, gets to be like i'm buyin sushi for him :cry: