PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a saltwater tank in a basement suite??

2bafish
07-20-2013, 11:00 PM
In a few months I'm moving in a smaller size home. From a 2500 sqft home to a 1000 sqft basement suite. Needless to say I have to sell my 8 foot fish tank. I would like to get a 90 gallon fish tank or something like that. I'm wondering how some of you who live in a basement suite keep saltwater tanks. There isn't allot of room for rodi water bins for top off ato units or premixed salt mix. I would like to know how some of you manage to keep saltwater tanks in a basement suite. Any advice is appreciated.

duncangweller
07-20-2013, 11:33 PM
I have done it before where I have just set up an rodi bin in a spare bedroom. You have to get really creative with storage too as there isn't normally a lot of room for salt buckets etc.

Get chatty with your landlord early and they may let you borrow a bit of space on the garage

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk HD

input80
07-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Hey there Joe, I'm currently in a basement suite & running 2 tanks. I just fill ro/di water daily as needed & keep it in 5 gal buckets, not ideal I guess, but it works for us. When I need to do my water changes, just mix in an 18 gal tote, again, as needed.
We are a tad crowded, but then again I have always been relatively comfy in smaller living quarters, lol.
Come by when you're in Surrey.
BTW, any luck in your tank hunt yet ? I told my friend to contact you.

naesco
07-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Use one of those fridge icemaker connexions and tee it into the nearest cold water pipe.
Water goes into to ro/di than into 2x1x1 tupperware type container with a float valve and auto top off. All of which is under the tank with the sump

Myka
07-21-2013, 01:48 AM
For a 90-gallon tank you can use two Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gallon totes. One for RO/DI water and one for saltwater mixing. They fit into standard closets. I used to run my RO/DI hooked to the kitchen faucet on a timer to fill up 5-gallon pails that I would dump into the 18 gallon totes. If you have a fairly fast RO/DI then it doesn't take all day. :p

2bafish
07-21-2013, 04:56 AM
BTW, any luck in your tank hunt yet ? I told my friend to contact you.

Yes thanks for that. I will have a look at his tank some day next week or the week after.

neoh
07-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm in a 535sqft apartment with a 77g tank. I have the RODI unit under the kitchen sink, and will be making a unit that slides out soon. I fill up 20kg buckets and keep them on my deck. I guess it depends on the room you've got!