PDA

View Full Version : aquaclear in to overflow

bear27
06-18-2004, 03:40 AM
I was just thinking today about building a overflow for my tank, and thought that an aquaclear filter would be a good idea. All you would have to do is drill a hole in the bottom, and install a bulkhead to your sump with a standard return. If the pump flow was to much for the drain being it is a aqua clear it would just spill over into the aquarium. and if it wasnt enouf you would notice the level in the filter droping

what does everybody think of that idea

Scavenger
06-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Only problem I see is matching the return flow from your sump back into your tank. You'd need vaulves and possible floatswitch for cut off's if it got too far out of balance.

Aquattro
06-18-2004, 05:20 PM
what does everybody think of that idea

I've seen used overflows for sale that were only slightly more than an aquaclear. Not an area to cut corners in, IMO.

robert
06-18-2004, 06:21 PM
I tried to do this a few years ago on my first saltwater tank after couple of floods due to lost siphon on CPR overflow box. :sad: I ended up drilling my tank after some more floods from aquaclear home made overflow. :lol: It is almost impossible to create permanent equilibrium between overflow and return pump. Brad is right, don’t cut corners in here. Either get the tank drilled or go for high quality overflow box, something like this (http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html).

bear27
06-19-2004, 12:25 AM
alright just an idea