PDA

View Full Version : Biodigest + biopellets

MarkoD
07-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I've been using biopellets in a cad lights bio pellet reactor and have been dosing biodigest every 2 weeks for 6 weeks now.

I am only using 400ml of bio pellets for 250 gallons of water volume.

I haven't noticed any changes yet.

Has anyone on here tried this combo?

Acrowhora
07-18-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm currently using Biodigest and bioptim.i've asked the Vendor who i bought the prodibio products from if i could use bio-pellets in conjuction with prodibio.told that it wasn't a good idea,but never really explained why,and was recommended to use GFO instead.I've been using biopellets in a cad lights bio pellet reactor and have been dosing biodigest every 2 weeks for 6 weeks now.

I am only using 400ml of bio pellets for 250 gallons of water volume.

I haven't noticed any changes yet.

Has anyone on here tried this combo?

mrhasan
07-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Many people use MB7 with biopellets so that the right bacteria gets the carbon source instead of the wrong ones. Biodigest is also the right bacteria (similar to MB7) so I guess it shouldn't be of any problem but possibly only better for the system. 400ml for 250g seems a lot less than what my math would suggest. I guess you are through the slow starting phase so maybe you might want to add a little bit more to the reactor?

MarkoD
07-18-2013, 10:16 PM
I may add a little more. But my bio load is pretty small for the water volume.

daplatapus
07-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Do you have any nitrate or phosphate issues? Not sure why you'd use this product if you don't... just curious.

Myka
07-19-2013, 02:38 AM
I use biopellets, BioDigest, and BiOptim on my 90-gallon SPS reef. I started 50 mL biopellets on June 8th, and added 50 mL more at the end of July. Just this week I'm seeing results which was 5 1/2 weeks of use.

What issue are you trying to solve?

MarkoD
07-19-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't have issues with anything. I'm trying to maintain it.

kien
07-19-2013, 03:53 AM

If you don't have any issues, and you don't see any changes after using these products, then doesn't that suggest that they are working at maintaining the status quo in your tank?

MarkoD
07-19-2013, 04:09 AM
Well my parameters are below detectable levels. But I still have some brown algae. I was hoping the biopellets would at least resolve that. But nothing yet. Maybe not enough time has passed

daplatapus
07-19-2013, 05:27 AM

Uhm, maybe this is a bit simplistic, but if you had no issues, weren't you keeping it that way already? ;)
I looked into this stuff too, talked to the rep and a couple dealers, and it came down to this: the product helps build bacterial populations to take care of nitrate and phosphate that are not being controlled by other means. If there are no phosphate or nitrate issues in a tank, these products will have little effect.
I ask this to learn ( because lord knows I don't know much :) ) not to offend:

What results are you expecting? What would you see for you to say its working?

Myka
07-19-2013, 05:28 AM

If there is nothing to resolve, then what changes are you looking for? :p

Well my parameters are below detectable levels. But I still have some brown algae. I was hoping the biopellets would at least resolve that. But nothing yet. Maybe not enough time has passed

:lol: Ah ha!! So, you're trying to resolve the brown algae. It does take some time, and I think some elbow grease will help speed things along. Undetectable nitrate and phosphate tests mean nothing when there is visible algae growing. Essentially, the biopellets (or other carbon dosing method) compete with the algae for nutrients and should win. You have almost double the biopellets per gallon that I do. I would just wait a couple more weeks before adding any more biopellets. If you add too many biopellets at once or you come to have too many biopellets for the demand of the system you will more than likely get cyano.

mrhasan
07-19-2013, 05:50 AM

Diatom you mean? Biopellets won't help with that since it doesn't take up silicate :P Only time will heal that.

daplatapus
07-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Undetectable nitrate and phosphate tests mean nothing when there is visible algae growing. Essentially, the biopellets (or other carbon dosing method) compete with the algae for nutrients and should win.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm constantly forgetting that, and is probably one of the things that keeps me going back to thinking of some form of carbon dosing. I've just always chickened out before doing something.
Question for you Myka if you don't mind (and hopefully isn't de-railing this thread):

For vodka dosing, they say knowing your Po4 and No3 levels are crucial in figuring out dosing and when to start cutting back. But if you can't get an accurate read on those, how do you determine how much is too much? Or is this one of those instances where dosing the biodigest and bioptum are of real benefit seeing how you can't overdose theses?

Myka
07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Diatom you mean? Biopellets won't help with that since it doesn't take up silicate :P Only time will heal that.

Yes, that's true. There are a ton of brown algae though. Is it diatoms Marko?

MarkoD
07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Yes, that's true. There are a ton of brown algae though. Is it diatoms Marko?

I'm not sure if its diatoms. I've only ever had diatoms on the sand previously. But this time it's on the rocks and glass but not on the sand

Myka
07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Question for you Myka if you don't mind (and hopefully isn't de-railing this thread):

For vodka dosing, they say knowing your Po4 and No3 levels are crucial in figuring out dosing and when to start cutting back. But if you can't get an accurate read on those, how do you determine how much is too much? Or is this one of those instances where dosing the biodigest and bioptum are of real benefit seeing how you can't overdose theses?

I've not had luck with vodka dosing. It seems a balance that is hard to do imo. If your PO4 and NO3 are "undetectable" you just need to watch your tank closely. If you see a decrease in algae then stay at that dose, don't increase. Once the algae is almost gone then you need to back off the dosing. I think the PO4 and NO3 readings aren't are useful as visual monitoring, but give you a good place to start. None of these carbon dosing methods are quick fixes like some people hope them to be.