PDA

View Full Version : Glass top and metal screen for Rimless tank

Basile
07-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Hi guys my starfire tanks ar being process as we speek and will be ready in 8 weeks. I have the option to have a custom made metal screen for the top if i ever get jumpers, and a glass top if i want to control my evaporation.

Fairely expensive, so i was wondering if anybody else with rimless tanks had those made and if they've evre used them ?

Should i go for it?

Aquattro
07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I suspect metal and salt water won't mix well long term :)

Basile
07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
I suspect metal and salt water won't mix well long term :)

Well they make them for tank i suspect they have some coating againts salt but i'll check thanks for the input.

reefwars
07-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Use a plastic mesh and frame and recess the cover into the tank so the tank still looks rimless from away;)

Basile
07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Use a plastic mesh and frame and recess the cover into the tank so the tank still looks rimless from away;)

You have a picture because i can't picture the recess frame in a rimless tank, please elaborate. Thanks where did you get yours plastic frame , the store, thanks.

mike31154
07-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Any type of cover, glass, mesh will cut down on the amount of light getting to your livestock. So depending on what your long term plan is, you may want to rethink having a top made now. "if I ever get jumpers" to me is not a convincing argument to start off with a cover on the tank right away. It is a tradeoff, risk losing a fish to carpet surfing or spend more money on a cover and more powerful lights that are going to be costlier to run long term.

My tank has been running without a cover for close to 7 years & I've lost one Lawnmower Blenny to the floor. Sad, but insufficient for me to justify covering the tank & dealing with one more item that will need regular attention. Evaporation is not a deal breaker for me either, I have my top off system & evaporate about a gallon a day. It's dry here in the Okanagan during summer, so I look at my tank evap as a free humidifier. I know from experience the humidity is higher in the National Capital Region, so I guess you'll have to weigh the options in that regard.

Plastic mesh is available at most any hardware store or sometimes at the garden center, sold as bird netting to keep them off your grapes & fruit trees. Once you have the netting, it's not that difficult to diy a frame for it. You could even use plastic bug screen, but that's very close mesh & will really cut down on your lighting efficiency.

Spyd
07-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Sounds like they would maybe groove the top of the glass all around so that the mesh lid could fit in it and be hidden. That would make sense as to the cost. Otherwise, I would just buy a cheap kit from BRS for $50 or whatever it costs... Using the clear mesh doesn't affect your lighting much at all. I have not noticed any changes in my tank since I added a screen. If you are going to be getting anthias and wrasses, etc. then I would definitely recommend a screen.

I highly suggest staying away from glass lids. First off, your lighting will suffer. Secondly, you need oxygen in your tank and without an exposed surface, that can be a real problem. Finally, evaporation is a good thing for your tank. Promoting evaporation allows you to introduce oxygenated, fresh, clean top off water for your tank.

Basile
07-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks guys for all your posts, i get most of what you're saying i also know about some of the facts you've put foreward. I'm aware of the oxygen restriction i would impose on the system, the light diffusion by the glass and salt. I've done a plastic mesh for thanks before, no problem.

A few points i'd like to emphasise on;

-Those items would be back up options if my dehumidifier and air exchanger had problems getting rid of excess humidity during the winter only( december to march), night time mostly ; i'm the only guy who had to use an ice scrapper indoors when i had my 65G

- Making a net for me is no problem on a conventional tank, on a rimless if i ever decide to get difficult fishes ; at the factory they have all the tools to make a professional job.

- I'll enquire with the manifacturer what i'll use to make the screen cover, before agreeing, metal like you said might be a bad idea, thanks for that precision... I would also monitor my oxygen level if i ever had to use the glass, which would only be a temporary measure during the - 40oF we get and the humidity couldn't be taken out with exchanger.

My question is essentially, would it be a good ideal to have both items made professionally if i need them in the future, not as a permanent fixture but as an option in a crisis or emergency, i guess thats what i was aiming at. Thank you all for your time.