PDA

View Full Version : DEAD FISH

sea gnome
06-17-2004, 03:18 PM
:cry: MY TANK HAS BEEN STRUGGLING, SEE FAILURE TO THRIVE THREAD. YESTERDAY I NOTICED A LEAK FROM THE TANK WHERE ITS DRILLED, THE TREADED GASKET AT THE BOOTOM IS LOOSE. OF COURE TO GET AT IT I HAVE TO EMPTY THE TANK AND LIT IT OFF THE BASE. I DECIDED TO JUST NOT HAVE THE SUMPS RUNNING FOR A WEEK UNTIL FINALS ARE OVER AT UVIC AND I CAN FIX IT.. I WAS GOING TO GO OVER TO VANCOUVER AND GET SOME SALT BECAUSE ITS THE ONLY THING LEFT IT CAN BE. SINCE ITS BEEN HOT I DIDN'T THINK I NEEDED A HEATER IN THE TANK. THIS MORNING THE SEBAE CLOWN IS DEAD, THE CANDY CANE SHRIMP IN ALMOST DEAD AND THE SAILFIN TANG, 3 CHROMIS AND A BLENNY ARE NOT LOOKING GOOD ( THE WATER FELT VERY COLD AND THE THERMOMETER READ 68). I HAVE SINCE BUT 2 HEATERS IN THE TANK AND HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED, IF ANYONE WANT THE FISH, THEY ARE FREE TO A GOOD HOME BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO GET THEM TOMORROW IF THEY ARE STILL ALIVE.

sea gnome
06-17-2004, 03:41 PM
ME AGAIN, I JUST TALKED TO UBC RE APPT WITH ADVISING AND THEY CAN'T SEE ME UNTIL JULY 12, SINCE I DON'T WANT TO MAKE 2 TRIPS. IS ANYONE GOING OVER THERE? OR CAN ANYONE GIVE ME 1/4 BUCKET OF SALT AND I WILL RETURN IT WHEN I GET THE NEEW BUCKET ON THE 12TH. AS WELL IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO PICK UP ANYTHING WHEN I'M THERE, LET ME KNOW. RACHEL

IslandReefer
06-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't know if your problems are the salt, but if you want to make the drive I can give you the salt.

sea gnome
06-17-2004, 09:34 PM
HI JOHN, I'LL TAKE YOU UP ON THE OFFER OF THE SALT, I WAS JUST DOWN IN VICTORIA, I AM NEXT DOWN ON MONDAY.WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
COULD YOU PM ME WITH ADDRESS AND NUMBER??

THE FISH LOOK GREAT SINCE I HAVE BEEN HOME, THE TEMP IS BACK UP TO 80. MAYBE I WILL KEEP THEM AFTER ALL, I JUST FEEL SICK THAT THE SEBAE DIED, HE WAS FAT AND APPEARED HAPPY.

Aquattro
06-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Rachel, can you turn the caps lock key off please. It's considered yelling and is difficult to read. Thanks

sea gnome
06-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Sorry about the caps lock.

well this am , the shrimp is dead and the other fish are struggling. temp is fine, chemistry is fine. the tank is beng aerated. Arggggg.

EmilyB
06-18-2004, 08:36 PM
If your tank chemistry is fine, it is probably not your salt. I believe the bad IO had extremely high levels of Alk.

Quagmire
06-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Just grasping at straws here,but could someting have poisoned the water.Like furniture polish or some other cleaning supply?

christyf5
06-21-2004, 04:19 AM
Rachel, how is the tank doing now?

Christy :)

sea gnome
06-21-2004, 12:58 PM
The fish seem ok for now, as for somthing poisoning the fish, I don't know what it could be. The only time I go in the tank is to clean it once a week and I have a shower before hand to get an impurities off me. I use windex on the glass but very carefully. The new bucket of salt I started that seems to have been around the time everything started was stored in the garage for a year. Can it go off? It was sealed but maybe gas fume can get in it?
i seem to be getting an increase in cyanobacteria, but it always seems to increase in the summer. I have no green hair algae so far which is unusual. All the emerald crabs I had have died. The only thing left i the salt as far I can tell. :frown: Rachel